Project Manager - Wheatland County
Project ManagerPosition Reports To: Manager of Technical Services
Job ID: P23-02
The Project Manager is responsible for planning and coordinating municipal road and utility infrastructure projects. This position includes the responsibility to act as Wheatland County’s representative on engineering design and construction projects, including, but not limited to, representing and fulfilling the County’s interests and obligations related to project planning, project coordination, and project close-out. They may also act as Project Manager for smaller- scale construction projects that are executed directly by County staff and may assist with the development and implementation of internal organizational improvement initiatives. This position works closely with the Public Works team, and with external, project service providers such as engineering consulting firms and construction contractors.
The ideal candidate is an individual who can work independently with minimal supervision, effectively communicating with co-workers and managers, members of the construction industry, contracted professionals, and the public. A professional attitude and appearance are required to represent the interests of Wheatland County. The successful candidate will need to possess exceptional planning, scheduling, and coordination skills, and be able to resolve project-related problems and concerns efficiently and effectively. Prior experience working in a municipal environment will be considered an asset. The preferred candidate will have a C.E.T. or P.Eng designation, with a minimum of approximately 4 years of experience in municipal civil works. Civil Project Coordination and/or Project Management experience would be considered an asset.
- Prepare multiple types of procurement documents for services and goods for multiple departments.
- Collect quotes for various goods and services required by multiple departments.
- Assist in the review of bid proposals and make recommendation on the award of bids.
- Lead and or participate in design, pre-bid, public engagements, site review, and preconstruction meetings.
- Review construction inspector notes, make field visits during construction phase, interface with contractor around project schedule and interpret project documents, codes, regulations, and construction standards.
- Coordinate construction/project activities with County departments and other contractors.
- Monitor project schedule and prepare periodic reports for County supervisors and senior management.
- Work with Communications to post project status communications for the public.
- Prepare correspondence and reports detailing status of projects planned or underway.
- Work closely with consulting engineers and contractors on operating and capital projects to ensure projects progress.
- Perform Construction Completion and Final Acceptance inspections for new municipal infrastructure.
- Provide superior records management and filing upkeep, to ensure project documentation and corporate records are maintained within the County.
- Investigate and resolve conflicts with a solution-focused approach that respects all disciplines involved.
- Provide support and input for the development of Transportation and Utility Asset Management Plans.
- Work with GIS on the geolocation and other points of interest regarding new and existing infrastructure assets as part of any project being coordinated.
- Assist with project planning, scheduling, resource management, and budgeting activities.
- Ensure adherence to all applicable Wheatland County policies and bylaws.
- Ensure compliance with OH&S including attendance at safety meetings, being properly trained in OH&S related topics, and ensuring work is completed in a safe manner.
- Appropriately, and in a timely manner complete all administrative tasks.
- Relate to and communicate with co-workers, management, ratepayers, and vendors sincerely, clearly, tactfully, promptly, and courteously; respond to inquiries and complaints promptly and professionally.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Designated C.E.T., R.E.T., P.Eng. or equivalent is preferred.
- Registered member of the Alberta Society of Engineering Technologists or the Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Alberta
- Previous experience with Project Management and Scheduling software is an asset.
- Previous experience with GIS systems an asset.
- Valid Class 5 Alberta drivers’ licence.
- Effective organizational and time management skills.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Effective negotiation and conflict management skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively with other team members, the public / Wheatland County citizens, external agencies, etc.
- This position works a 5 day work week, Monday to Friday, with one day off in a 3 week cycle; hours of work: standard 37.5 hour work week
- Occasional overtime or modified shifts (e.g., evenings / weekends) may be required.
- Remote work capabilities may be provided
Closing Date: February 6, 2023
Apply on our website at: https://wheatlandcounty.ca/career-opportunities/project-manager/