Municipal Legal Counsel - Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo
Municipal Legal Counsel
Municipal Legal Counsel acts as a legal advisor for the Municipality, providing legal services and support to all parts of the organization.
Administration: Legal Counsel will be responsible for providing general legal support on a variety of matters as they arise, including, but not limited to the following:
- Civil litigation matters including research, drafting, and coordination of litigation;
- Enforcement matters including bylaw prosecutions and drafting stop orders;
- Taxation and Assessment matters including handling assessment complaints and appeals; Planning and Development matters including providing opinions, drafting bylaws, and representing the Development and Subdivision Authority on appeals;
- General counsel matters including drafting/reviewing contracts, providing general legal advice, reviewing policies and procedures for legal compliance; and
- Assisting with any other municipal legal matters that may arise from time to time, as assigned by the Director.
Research and Implementation: Legal Counsel will be responsible for research and drafting as required, including but not limited to: reviewing and advising on legislative changes affecting Municipal operations in the areas of municipal governance, planning and development, corporate law, environmental regulation. Legal Counsel will also be responsible for providing legal updates on law in areas that impact municipal operations and governance.
Department Coordination: Legal Counsel will be required to regularly communicate with the Director of Legal Services. Legal Counsel may be required to attend meetings on behalf of the Director.
- Excellent writing and communication skills and ability to express points of view logically and persuasively.
- Analytical, planning, organizational, time management, conflict resolution, and problem solving skills.
- Ability to prioritize and work under pressure and tight deadlines.
- Demonstrated high degree of professionalism, discretion, confidentiality and independence including ability to deal with the public in a tactful and professional manner.
- Strong listening, communication, interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Flexibility to manage a broad range of complex activities and deadlines.
- Computer literacy including basic skills with Microsoft Office, Microsoft Outlook and legal research databases.
- Knowledge of those areas of law (i.e. contracts, municipal liability, municipal bylaws and real property) which directly impact the operations of the Municipality, and ability to interpret and explain complex policy and legislation.
- Knowledge of the legislative framework within which the Municipality operates (e.g. Municipal Government Act, Expropriation Act, Environmental Protection and Enhancement Act).
- Law degree from a recognized Canadian University or recognized equivalent.
- Membership in good standing in the Law Society of Alberta or eligibility for membership.
- Two (2) years of experience (post-articling) providing legal advice.
- Experience working in a public sector environment considered an asset.
- Ability to provide a Criminal Record Check for review and acceptance.
- A valid Class Five (5) Operator’s License is an asset.
As an employee of the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo, the incumbent is responsible and accountable for knowing and working in accordance with the Health and Safety Directive. As per Section 2 of the Occupational Health and Safety Act, the incumbent shall ensure, while in the employ of the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo, the health and safety of employees, contractors, and the public.
Requisition ID: 765
Position Type: Permanent Full Time
Number of Openings: 1
Bi-weekly Working Hours: 70 hours bi-weekly
Department/ Branch: Legal Services
Job Location: Fort McMurray
Salary Range: Competitive Salary
COLA: Bi-Weekly - $480
Closing Date (dd/mm/yyyy): 05/03/2023
Posting Type: Internal and External
Reposted: October 5, 2022
To apply: Please visit our website at jobs.rmwb.ca
Current employees must apply through the internal careers site.
We appreciate the interest of all applicants; however, only those individuals selected for interviews will be contacted. Late applications will not be accepted.