Planning & Development Manager - City of Dawson
Dawson City, Yukon
Planning & Development Manager
Dawson City, Yukon, population: 2300, is the home of the Klondike Gold Rush and the heart of Tr’ondëk Hwëch’in Traditional Territory; we’re proud of our mining heritage and First Nations roots that run millennia deep. We’re a thriving cultural community—with a post-secondary arts school, several world-renowned festivals, and burgeoning TV and film industry—that borders an outdoor playground sprawling hundreds of kilometres in either direction. We’re a living historic community, with many landscape features and buildings that support our national historic site designation.
Mining, tourism, culture, and our people are the foundation on which our town stands, and we respect personal freedoms and diversity of all definitions. We’re a welcoming town and a great place to make a life and raise a family. Our community has a hospital and programming and activities that promote healthy lifestyles. We have a recreation centre, curling club, swimming pool, fitness centre, nine-hole golf course, off-leash dog park, and a ski hill. We enjoy an abundance of green spaces, including hiking, biking, and cross-country-ski trails. We also have a K–12 school, Yukon University campus, healthy business community, and numerous groups and organizations in which to get involved.
Under the direction and guidance of the Chief Administrative Officer (CAO), this non-union position is responsible for leadership, delivery, operation and administration of community development and planning, economic development, and land administration functions. This position provides supervision, leadership, management and mentoring of all staff within the Planning & Development department.
If this position interests you, please submit your resume and cover letter clearly demonstrating the qualifications outlined below, as selection for further consideration will be based solely on the information you provide.
- Masters’ degree in Planning.
- Minimum of 5 year’s experience in a land use planning and development control environment, preference to those with municipal experience.
- Minimum of 3 year’s experience in a senior supervisory or management capacity.
- Experience managing, building, leading and motivating a team in a unionized environment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to provide effective team leadership, technical advice and to establish and maintain successful working relationships with staff, Council, the public, and other agencies
- Excellent communication, organizational, time management, and prioritization skills.
- Ability to direct, develop, interpret, implement and evaluate programs, bylaws, policies and procedures.
- Ability to understand, interpret, and apply technical information and legislation.
- Ability to work independently, work well under pressure, and to exercise sound judgement to meet deadlines.
- Effective negotiation, conflict management, mediation and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent management track record with specific accomplishments in procurement, directing budgets and strategic planning and to provide effective recommendations as a member of the management team.
- Discretion, tact, compassion good judgement and cultural competency.
- Membership or eligibility for membership in the Canadian Institute of Planners and PIBC.
Applicants able to demonstrate an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
A job description is available upon request.
This posting will remain open until filled, however applications submitted by 2:00 pm on Friday, December 30, 2022 will be given first consideration. Apply soon! A current resume and cover letter applications to this position may be submitted by mail or email to the following:
Amanda King, Human Resources
PO Box 308
Dawson City, Yukon Y0B 1G0
Salary & Benefits:
Non-Union management position. Salary range of $86,395 - $103,485 plus benefits, in accordance with the Management Employment Bylaw. Housing may be available.
The City of Dawson thanks all applicants for their interest. Only those applicants who qualify for an interview will be contacted.
To learn more about our community and what we have to offer please visit our website at www.cityofdawson.ca