Communications Operator 1 - City of North Vancouver
City of North Vancouver
Communications Operator 1
The City of North Vancouver is the urban core of the beautiful North Shore and has a long-term vision to be “The Healthiest Small City in the World”, with five key priorities to be a City for People, a Liveable City, a Vibrant City, a Connected City and a Prosperous City.
The Police Administration Department requires several auxiliary Communications Operator 1s to work at the RCMP Detachment as 911 call takers. You will answer emergency and non-emergency calls, often under stressful circumstances. You will obtain and enter all critical and pertinent information from callers into police computer programs, determine and prioritize the caller’s needs, and route the information to the dispatcher, initiating an appropriate police response. You will use CPIC, PRIME and CAD, monitor various radio channels, and operate and maintain communications equipment.
Previous emergency call taking experience is an advantage but not required as training will be provided. The following traits will contribute to your success in this role:
- You thrive in a fast paced environment and can multi-task with ease
- You have the ability to think quickly and critically while remaining calm under pressure
- You have a strong desire to help people from all walks of life
- You know how to take charge of a situation and are good at diffusing conflict
- You can be assertive when needed but always in a respectful manner
- You like working with a team and are open to receiving feedback to do better at your job
In addition to the above, you must have the following requirements:
- Ability to type at a net speed of 40 wpm, and use computers/technology with ease
- Related education, training and/or experience
- Ability to do shift work (12 hour shifts, both day and night shifts, and weekends/holidays)
- Demonstrated work experience in a fast paced, multi-tasking environment
Preference will be given to candidates with the following:
- Public Safety Communications Certificate
- Considerable knowledge of North Vancouver and surrounding geography
- Familiarity with applicable legislation, bylaws and regulations (eg. Criminal Code, MVA)
- Strong interest in progressing to Communications Operator 2 (Dispatcher)
You will be required to obtain and maintain an RCMP security clearance as a condition of ongoing employment. Shortlisted candidates may be required to complete standardized tests or exercises to demonstrate their applicable skills and knowledge.
$26.34 to $30.94 per hour (Pay Grade 15 – January 2021 rates)
Hours of Work:
Shift Work – 24/7 operations (the OCC is staffed 24 hours/day, 7 days/week, 365 days/year)
If you are passionate about making the City of North Vancouver an even greater place to live, work and play, apply on-line through the Career Portal at www.cnv.org by Thursday, December 8, 2022.
Thank you for your interest in the City of North Vancouver.