Water and Sewer Treatment Technician - District of Kitimat
District of Kitimat
Water and Sewer Treatment Technician
The District of Kitimat is recruiting for a Water and Sewer Treatment Technician. Under the supervision of the Utilities Department Leader, you will operate, maintain, inspect, and monitor the water distribution and treatment systems, wastewater collection and treatment systems, and related equipment and infrastructure.
Where is the job?
Located in Northwest BC, Kitimat is a master-planned greenbelt community and home to just over 8,000 residents. Kitimat provides a stable tax base and is experiencing growth from increased levels of industrial, residential, and commercial development. We are in the process of upgrading our water treatment system, and this position will play an important role in both start up and operations.
- To learn more about your new home, visit https://kitimatbound.ca/move-to-kitimat/
- To learn more about our water treatment pilot plant, watch https://youtu.be/4PbdeF1bdJ0
What will you do?
- Operate, maintain, inspect and monitor the water distribution and treatment systems, wastewater collection and treatment systems, and related equipment and infrastructure.
- Perform a variety of tasks related to utility systems such as checking chlorine residuals, turbidity, pH, pipe repairs, and water sampling.
- Check and record flows, hours, through put, chemical usage, dosing rates, effluent discharges for a variety of pumps in a number of locations, noting anomalies and taking corrective action.
- Provide input and participate in the water treatment upgrade project and operations once complete.
- Carry out inspections, preventative maintenance, repair and overhaul of equipment related to water and sewer utilities.
- Use SCADA system to obtain full water and sewer system status updates.
- Perform seasonal snow removal as required.
What will you get in return?
- A competitive salary of $47.50 per hour, for 40 hours / week
- Comprehensive benefits package
- Membership in Unifor Local 2300, with accompanying overtime and other benefits under the collective agreement
- Professional development opportunities to grow your skills and further your career
- Complimentary use of the District’s fantastic recreation facilities
- Relocation assistance if you are moving to the area
- A rental subsidy for the first year of your employment
What do you bring with you?
- Certification under the Environmental Operators Certification Program:
- Water Distribution Level 2 with the ability to obtain a Level 3 within one year
- Water Treatment Level 2 with the ability to obtain a Level 3 within one year
- Wastewater Collection Level 1
- Wastewater Treatment Level 1
- Chlorine Handler certification
- Class 5 driver’s license, class 3 preferred
- WHMIS, Transportation of Dangerous Goods, and Confined Space Entry and Watch
- Grade 12 or equivalent
- Ability to inspect, analyze, and troubleshoot the operations of water/sewer systems and facilities
- Ability to communicate effectively, coordinate the work of a crew, understand and convey technical information, and perform job specific math calculations.
Why should you choose Kitimat?
At the District of Kitimat, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we serve, establishing an inclusive, equitable, and accessible environment for all. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. If you require accommodation during the recruitment process, we will work with you on arranging an accommodation where possible that is suitable for your abilities.
What do you do now?
If you are ready to support the start up and operations of the District’s upgraded systems, forward your resume and cover letter to Tall Cedars Search & Recruitment. A Supplementary Information Package can be obtained from the Consultant, which includes a complete job description and details of the comprehensive benefits plan. This position will remain open until filled, with the first review of applications taking place on Wed. Dec. 14:
Flo Pugh, Tall Cedars Search & Recruitment