Plan Reviewer - City of New Westminster
Great City, Great Work, Great Future!
DEPARTMENT: Climate Action, Planning & Development
STATUS: Regular Full Time
NO. OF POSITIONS: One
UNION: CUPE, Local 387
HOURS OF WORK: 35 hours/week
SALARY: $61,251 - $72,136 annually (2021 rates) plus benefits (commensurate with experience)
This is an exciting opportunity for a self-motivated Plan Reviewer to join our dynamic Building Services team. This is technical and clerical work checking residential and minor commercial building plans for adherence to municipal building code and by-law requirements. You will examine plans and specifications of proposed residential and minor commercial construction for adherence to structural, safety, fire and other regulations including screening and issuing building permit applications, frequently of some complexity, once requirements are met. The role may also contain some inspection work related to Part 9 Buildings. General direction is provided by a supervisor who periodically reviews work performance for adherence to department policies and procedures.
If you have the following characteristics and qualifications, we want to hear from you! You have:
- Graduation from a recognized institute of technology with core courses in building technology, a minimum of BOABC Level 1 qualification, and related experience in building design and/or plan review and significant clerical experience with a municipal building department; or an equivalent combination of training and experience. Preference will be given to applicants with BOABC Level 2, 3 or RBO certifications.
- Thorough knowledge of the pertinent sections of the British Columbia Building Code and of the building, zoning and sign by-laws.
- Considerable knowledge of building construction practices, methods and materials as well as the preparation and use of plans and specifications related to building construction and of structural design.
- Demonstrated ability to deal effectively and courteously with staff, developers, builders, colleagues, and customers to employ customer service excellence principles at work.
- Ability to interpret the BC Building Code, by-laws, regulations, specifications and departmental policies quickly and accurately.
- Ability to type and perform other clerical duties necessary to process permit applications and provide support to clerical staff as needed.
- Considerable knowledge of the operation of personal computer equipment and software applications related to the work performed including BlueBeam, Tempest, Microsoft Suite, etc.
- Ability to explain procedures and protocols, provide advice to, and to deal effectively with colleagues and customers with sincerity, empathy and with an ability to provide solutions to problems.
- Valid driver’s license and willingness to drive a vehicle for business purposes.
- The ability to pass and maintain a satisfactory Police Information Check.
- Opportunity for advancement to candidates with higher levels of BOABC certification, RBO or professional licence.
Apply by sending your cover letter and resume in one document quoting the competition number, by December 12, 2022 to the Human Resources Department, City of New Westminster, 511 Royal Avenue, New Westminster, BC, V3L 1H9, e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org using the following format in the subject line: LAST NAME First Name #22-187.
To support a workforce that reflects the diversity of our community; women, Indigenous Peoples, racialized individuals, persons of diverse sexual orientation, gender identity or expression (LGBTQ2S+), persons with disabilities, and others who may contribute to diversity of our workforce, are encouraged to express their interest.
New Westminster is on the unceded and unsurrendered land of the Halq'eméylem-speaking peoples.
It is acknowledged by the City that colonialism has made invisible their histories and connections to the land.
We are learning and building relationships with the people whose lands we are on.
We thank all applicants for their interest and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
This position is only open to those legally entitled to work in Canada..