Project Manager - Rocky View County
Rocky View County
Technologists / Technicians
Rocky View County
Nov 27, 2022
Reporting to Manager of Capital Projects, the Project Manager will be responsible for executing County capital infrastructure projects from project planning phase to construction completion, including all aspects of project delivery. In addition, the Project Manager will provide advice and recommendations regarding project scope definition, budget preparation and identification of project risks.
Manage and execute capital projects through project management, contract management, meeting participation, development of agreements, scheduling, cost control, direct oversight and documentation.
Program Development | Administration
- Manage all aspects of project delivery to ensure projects are delivered on time, within budget and in alignment with project scope.
- Supports Manager and other County departments in development of scope and objectives, project feasibility, development of project budgets and identification of project requirements and risks.
- Provide expert advice and recommendations regarding the planning, construction and completion of Capital Infrastructure Projects.
- Prepare and/or evaluate requests for proposals, quotations, pre-qualification, tenders and contracts.
- Consult with other government agencies and private sector organizations involved in planning, engineering and construction phases of projects to ensure successful delivery of County projects (e.g., regulatory approvals, licensing, permitting, adjacent municipalities etc.)
- Apply knowledge of or research applicable legislation as required throughout each project.
- Directly prepare or provide input for grant applications for County infrastructure projects.
- Provide consultation and project management for internal departments to ensure project meets the County’s long term plans and strategies.
- Conduct various County initiated studies related to water, wastewater, storm water and/or transportation under the guidance of the Manager Capital Projects.
Implementation | Oversight
- Direct and oversee engineering and construction projects from conception to completion while monitoring compliance with safety and government regulations.
- Act as a resource and provide supporting information/documentation to other departmental employees across the organization as requested.
- Build and maintain project management tools to track execution, ensure effectively resourced, meet quality standards and manage changes and scope.
- Solve and/or escalate complex problems which arise within the project. Ensure issues that are escalated are presented with proposed solutions rather than only problems.
- Responsible for managing the work of consultants, allocating and utilizing resources in an efficient manner.
- Assist in the monitoring and review of opportunities to construct infrastructure more cost effectively for the Municipality with acceptable levels of risk management.
- Manages the turnover of the asset produced to internal County departments or external stakeholders.
- Manage stakeholder communications and expectations throughout duration of projects.
- Develop communication strategies, in collaboration with Communications, to inform the public of the various capital projects and their status Work with communications for the ongoing update of the County website for Capital Projects.
- Communicate regularly with peers in Alberta Environment, Alberta Transportation, local water and wastewater service providers within Rocky View, the City of Calgary, and other regional bodies related to County Capital projects.
- Respond to County ratepayer questions/inquiries regarding on-going capital projects or proposed capital projects as required.
- Support the Manager in Council presentations and present to Council from time-to-time for projects pertaining to the Project Manager.
- Facilitate and lead public consultation processes and public presentations as required.
- Measure and track project performance, budgetary objectives, project constraints, develop detailed project plans and reports using appropriate tools and techniques.
- Prepare external and internal reports relating to project status, estimates, and deliverables. Prepare project close out reports and documentation.
- Provide advice and recommendations regarding amendments to policies and procedures related to roads, water, wastewater, and storm water in response to ongoing changes (i.e. legislative) as necessary.
- Ensures adherence to County policies in execution of capital projects.
- Supports Manager in preparation of annual operating and capital budget.
- Represent the County as a stakeholder for functional studies in conjunction with municipal and provincial agencies.
- Work in accordance with the requirements established by the RVC Health and Safety Program and the Alberta OHS Act, Regulation and Code.
- Take reasonable care to protect their health and safety and other persons at or in the vicinity of the worksite while they are working.
- Perform other duties and special projects as assigned.
Completion of Bachelor Degree or diploma in a related field along with a minimum of five years of project management experience is required. Background in the fields of Civil and Municipal engineering is considered an asset.
- Demonstrate sound engineering practices and project management skills with transportation/roads, water, wastewater, and storm water (including liability concerns and risk management) in a municipal setting.
- Well-developed communication and interpretation skills, with the ability to work independently and collaboratively in a multi-disciplinary team.
- Strong problem solving skills including the ability to listen effectively to resolve the core issues.
- Ability to network, relationship build, manage relationships and influence change.
- Work under deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- In depth knowledge of regulatory requirements.
- Demonstrate a high level of integrity and professional conduct, to protect privacy, use information appropriately and is perceived as consistent, neutral, and objective in business activities.
- Demonstrate initiative and innovation to identify areas for improvement and implements appropriate changes as necessary.
- Strong written and oral communication skills including the ability to appropriately gauge the needs of the situation and adapt the communication style accordingly.
- Demonstrate confidence in advice given and complex decisions made and is able to support and justify these as required.
- Demonstrate flexibility and adaptability to shifting priorities of the organization.
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite.
Interested applicants are invited to apply direct to www.rockyview.ca
This competition will remain open until a suitable candidate is placed.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for interviews will be contacted.