Communications Coordinator - Capital Regional District
Capital Regional District
Integrated Water Services – Communications
Competition Number: 22/276
Employment Type: Auxiliary (until approx Dec 1, 2023)
Hours of Work: 70 hours bi-weekly
Rate of Pay: $36.24 to $41.13 per hour, plus 14% in lieu of benefits (2021 rates)
Location: 479 Island Highway, Victoria, BC
Review of applications begins: 4:00pm on October 17, 2022
Make a difference and become a part of the Capital Regional District’s vibrant future! Located in Victoria, BC, one of the world’s premier places to live, work and visit, the Capital Regional District (CRD) strives to create liveable, vibrant communities, practice exemplary environmental stewardship and build a prosperous and sustainable economy.
Under the general direction of the General Manager, Integrated Water Services and in accordance with Department and Division strategic and operating plans, this position leads the planning, development and delivery of communications and information initiatives. This includes communications planning, website, public information, promotions, media releases and public relations activities. This position liaises and works in collaboration with CRD Corporate Communications and Integrated Water Services to ensure corporate guidelines, standards, policies and procedures are followed.
The anticipated length of this term assignment is until approximately December 1, 2023.
- Undergraduate degree in related field, such as marketing, journalism or communications, and five years directly related experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience in the development and delivery of communication and information initiatives.
- Must possess a valid BC Driver’s Licence (or out-of-province equivalent).
To apply for this exciting opportunity, please visit www.crd.bc.ca and submit your application on our careers page.
We welcome all qualified applicants to apply and may consider a combination of experience, education and/or training where possible.
NOTE: For the health and safety of our employees, customers and the communities we serve, the CRD requires verification of your COVID-19 vaccination status as a condition of employment.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities
People working in this role can expect to be responsible for performing the following duties. This list is not meant to be comprehensive and other related duties similar in scope and complexity may be performed.
- Takes a lead role in the development and implementation of the Integrated Water Services annual communications initiatives and acts as a champion for the support of communication goals and objectives for the department and CRD.
- Takes initiative to develop communications plans and strategies required to proactively respond to specific issues.
- Develops, plans, organizes and executes communications and information initiatives.
- Develops communication plans and community consultation strategies consistent with departmental and strategic plans.
- Develops communications plans and strategies required to proactively respond to specific issues.
- Provides consultation to staff on communication initiatives. Identifies communication needs/opportunities, and recommends appropriate communication tools.
- Works in collaboration with Integrated Water Services and Corporate Communications, to develop, prepare and/or updates brochures, posters, displays, web pages, presentations, articles, social media and promotional support materials.
- Responds to enquiries from the media, members of the public and public agencies, as required.
- Coordinates special events relating to significant division initiatives.
- Participates in developing response plans to issues requiring immediate attention to ensure that affected stakeholders are consulted and apprised.
- Provides subject matter expertise for the division.
- Accountable to Corporate Communications on matters of corporate policy, standards, and communication governance. Will participate in corporate communications governance meetings as required.
- Champions the CRD’s strategic goals and objectives, ensuring that messaging is consistent with these strategic goals and organizational objectives.
- Acts as a liaison between Integrated Water Services and Corporate Communications.
- Follows all policies, procedures and standards of the CRD.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
To be successful at the CRD, candidates should have a shared understanding of our Cultural Traits and Statement of Reconciliation with Indigenous peoples. Additionally, ideal candidates would possess the following role specific knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Excellent communication (verbal and written), interpersonal and customer service skills are required.
- Demonstrated experience providing expert, proactive advice as required to senior management.
- Demonstrated ability to show initiative, anticipate needs and prepare proactive responses.
- Demonstrated ability to draft press releases and key messages quickly and under pressure.
- Must be able to communicate complex issues in a clear, concise and constructive manner within urgent deadlines.
- Significant experience developing communications plans and strategies required to proactively respond to specific issues.
- Ability to develop information/communications campaigns from inception through to completion and evaluation.
- Must be professional, politically sensitive, diplomatic and reliable with excellent organizational skills.
- Requires the ability to handle multiple priorities and to respond to urgent deadlines within a short timeframe.
- Proficiency and experience with MS Word, spreadsheets (MS Excel), presentation (MS PowerPoint), desktop publishing (Adobe InDesign, Acrobat Professional, Illustrator and Photoshop) and web publishing software (Adobe Dreamweaver, Fireworks and Contribute).
- Demonstrated extensive social media knowledge and experience (Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, and blogs), with a track record of actively participating in a wide variety of social media activities for communication purposes.
- Must be innovative in developing communication plans, written materials and when communicating with the media.
- Ability to work independently and as a team member.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain collaboration working relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Knowledge of water and wastewater issues and trends.