Finance and Office Services Assistant - Municipal Insurance Association of British Columbia
Finance and Office Services Assistant
Are you looking for a position where you make a difference in our communities? At the Municipal Insurance Association of British Columbia (MIABC) we invest in the communities of British Columbia, so that they can invest in themselves. Each day, through every piece of advice shared, every outreach program offered, and every insurance policy written, our organization proudly declares that what makes each community unique is worthwhile, empowering the communities at the very heart of our province and the people who are the heart of those communities.
The MIABC is looking for an energetic, motivated, and career-minded Finance and Office Services Assistant to provide professional and technical service to our local government members. The MIABC is a member-owned non-profit insurance reciprocal that provides liability coverage to over 165 local governments in British Columbia, and property and ancillary coverage to over half of our members.
- Full cycle accounts payable and accounts receivable, under the oversight of the Accountant.
- Processes payments including operating expenses, staff expense reports, benefit remittances, claims payments and member payments using Sage software, and in- house software where applicable, on a weekly basis.
- Processes accounts receivable using Sage software and in-house software. Deposits payments at the bank. Follows up on overdue accounts and lost cheques.
- Prepares routine journal entries and archives electronic financial records for approval and audit. Files bank statements.
- Prints cheques weekly and processes rush cheques as required. Coordinates cheque signatures.
- Distributes claims status reports quarterly and directs inquiries to the appropriate person.
- Assists with month-end and year-end close processes.
- Assists with the quarterly reporting and year end reporting.
- Supports the CFO and Accountant with Finance administration.
- Provides primary back-up to the Office Services Assistant during daily breaks, days off (Thursdays and Fridays), absences (vacation and illness) including: reception duties (answering the main telephone line, greeting visitors, accepting deliveries and forwarding faxes).
Preferred qualifications include:
- Bookkeeping or basic accounting experience.
- Superior attention to detail, level of accuracy and organizational skills.
- Expertise with Microsoft Office 365 programs (Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.)
- Excellent interpersonal and oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to lift and move boxes (i.e., box of photocopy paper).
- Ability to work independently. Initiative.
Our commitment to you
The MIABC believes in a culture rooted in collaboration and growth. Our team is enthusiastic, innovative, diverse, and driven to enrich the lives of our members and each other. We promise to support you and provide you with meaningful challenges and opportunities to shine. From competitive salaries, benefit packages and professional development opportunities, to work life balance with flex days and flexible working opportunities, we offer our teammates a working environment in which they feel supported, encouraged and empowered to take risks and share their perspectives openly and freely.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion:
Equality is entrenched in the MIABC’s values and guiding principles. We celebrate, empower, and support the unique differences our staff, board and members bring to our organization. We strive to be a workforce and organization that is representative of the diversity of the communities in British Columbia.
- Participation in a defined pension plan;
- Incidental health spending account;
- The ability to work remotely two days a week;
- Optional participation in a flex day plan allowing for 18 flex days per calendar year;
- Legislative statutory holidays off as well as Easter Monday, National Day for Truth and Reconciliation and Boxing Day;
- A centrally located office next to transit, shopping, restaurants and the false creek seawall;
- Free parking on a first come first serve basis, with EV charging stations;
- Secure private bike storage;
- Monthly allowance for employees who choose to use their personal mobile phone for business;
- Professional development days;
- Mentorship programs; and
- Staff social activities
The full job description can be viewed on our website at https://www.miabc.org/about-miabc/work-us/careers-miabc . The closing date is October 22, 2022 and qualified applicants should forward a cover letter and resume to Leigh Latchford, HR Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org. We sincerely thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.