Senior Buyer - Township of Langley
Be a part of something great!
Competition File #: 22-U179
Join a “Community of Communities” – the Township of Langley, home to approximately 150,000 residents, is committed to providing progressive business, housing, and recreational opportunities, while balancing its unique mix of urban growth and rural beauty. A truly fun and beautiful place to work, the Township of Langley offers competitive salaries, excellent benefit packages, municipal pension plan, employee wellness programs, and opportunities for professional development and career growth.
The Township of Langley is currently recruiting for a regular full-time Senior Buyer to join our team of professionals in the Finance Division, Purchasing and Stores Department. Reporting to the Manager, Purchasing Services, in this unionized position you will assist and advise on the overall functions of purchasing and procurement. The successful candidate will be required to use a considerable amount of independent judgement within the framework of established policies, standards and budget constraints. This position will appeal to candidates who are detail oriented and have strong leadership qualities.
- Assist the Manager with daily functions related to purchasing and stores operations
- Participate in the review and recommendation of policies, practices and standards
- Coordinate and review the procurement process for a variety of goods, materials, services and equipment
- Make recommendations on pre-award strategies, terms of standard contracts and assist in contract preparation and supplier interviews
- Assist in the review and evaluation of supplier performance
- Prepare competitive bid documents, including tenders and requests for quotations
- Participate in tender openings, mandatory public meetings and site visits as needed
- Set up the evaluation process, resolve bid irregularities, perform price and cost analysis, negotiate acceptable terms/conditions and conduct follow-up as necessary
- Resolve contract disputes and challenges as required
- Perform other related work as required
- Completion of Grade 12, certification/designation with Supply Chain Management Professional (SCMP), supplemented by courses in WHMIS and Transportation of Dangerous Goods (TDG), plus sound related experience or an equivalent combination of training and experience
- Thorough knowledge of various sources, pricing, commodities and services required by the municipality
- Considerable knowledge of policies, procedures, methods, practices, standards and laws related to public sector purchasing and stores operations
- Ability to prepare specifications, contracts and tender documents for a variety of products and services and negotiate, monitor and administer associated contracts
- Ability to plan, assign, review and supervise the work of a group of employees engaged in purchasing and stores work
- Experience or training in contract law and competitive bidding are considered assets
In order to be considered for this position, candidates must have the following valid and current certifications/licenses (must be valid at the time the posting closes) and these must be attached with your application. Applications without the attached required documents below will be deemed incomplete and may not be considered. Please title your attachments with the number of this competition and have these documents ready to upload when you apply:
- BC Class 5 (full-privilege) Driver’s License or equivalent driver’s license for where you reside. You must include with your application a current Personal Driving Record (select the 5 year option if obtaining online) that has been obtained within 6 months of the closing date. To obtain a copy of your Personal Driving Record, please contact ICBC directly or the driving authority where you reside. Please note that a copy of your Driver’s License and the Drivers Factor Report will not be accepted.
- Supply Chain Management Professional (SCMP) designation
Applicants are advised that it is a condition of employment with the Township that a successful candidate provide proof that they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Note: proof is not required as part of the application process, however, will be required upon consideration for employment.
The CUPE rate of pay for this position is $38.73 - $45.73 per hour (2020 rates), plus benefits. The hours of work are 7.5 hours per day, Monday to Friday 8:00am – 4:30pm.
If you wish to pursue this exciting career in a growing community, please visit tol.ca/careers to apply.
Internal closing date for this competition: October 3, 2022
External closing date for this competition: October 16, 2022
We appreciate all applications; however, only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.