General Manager, Social & Community Services - County of Simcoe
General Manager, Social & Community Services
General Manager, Social & Community Services
7 October 2022
Permanent - Full Time
Midhurst, ON L9X 1N6 CA (Primary)
Reporting directly to the CAO, the General Manager, Social & Community Services is responsible for the effective and efficient management and the overall planning, organizing, directing, co-ordinating and controlling of activities necessary to deliver mandatory and non-mandatory social and community services. This includes Ontario Works, Social and Affordable Housing, Children’s Services, Homelessness Prevention and related supports as well as other community services for residents of Simcoe County, Barrie and Orillia, in accordance with the policies of the County and applicable legislation. This position provides high level strategic management and leadership and provides advice to the CAO and County Council on matters relating to County services. Work is performed in accordance with legislated and regulated procedures and corporate policies as prescribed by the CAO’s Office.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (not listed in order of priority)
- Leads continuous business process improvement initiatives and works cooperatively and jointly with all levels of management to streamline work processes and to ensure all accountable programs and services are providing cost effective delivery in compliance with Provincial legislation, Municipal by-laws and policies.
- Support County Council and Committees in determining policy by providing advice, informing them on the status of expenditures relative to the approved Social and Community Services budgets, developing and making recommendations on desirable improvements in procedure and policies as they pertain to the delivery of social and community services, informing the Committee about potential changes which impact the delivery of mandated programs and providing relevant statistical information.
- Support the CAO and County Council in matters related to municipal initiatives in the areas of Social and Community Services. Ensure that the CAO and County Council are appraised of issues that relate to the interests of the Corporation and provide them with background information and briefing materials.
- As a member of the Executive Management team, assist in developing overall strategic directions/actions, policies, and procedures which substantially move and continually enhance the corporation’s existing services as an efficient customer driven organization.
- Administer mandatory and non-mandatory human services programs, ensuring uniform delivery throughout the region in the most efficient manner possible and according to provincial legislation and Municipal by-law and policy.
- Recommend objectives, strategies and action plans as they relate to the Social and Community Services section of the County of Simcoe Strategic Plan.
- Work with various provincial and federal ministries and other municipal governments as required with regard to federal and provincial subsidies, targets and work plans to ensure monitoring and reporting mechanisms meet provincial and federal standards.
- to streamline and improve processes and delivery to ensure the effective development, implementation and review of policies, procedures, standards, plans and programs governing Social and Community Services.
- Participate in the development, implementation and monitoring of the Social & Community Services budgets, ensuring expenditures are within assigned authority and approved limits.
- Ensure maintenance of financial and other social and community services records as required by Municipal, Provincial and Federal legislation and guidelines.
- Develop, establish and maintain effective relationships with the public, neighbouring municipalities, government officials, agencies, organizations, institutions and others.
- Foster collaborative service planning and program delivery that reflects a client-centred approach, and, where appropriate, aligns with programs delivered by other Social and Community Services Departments within the Division.
- Provide leadership and supervision to Social & Community Services employees in a manner that motivates, guides and directs employees to the realization of department goals and objectives. Ensure a work environment that promotes staff participation, teamwork and positive labour relations.
- Ensure consistent and efficient operations in Social and Community Services offices within the County.
- Ensure the hiring, orientation and training of staff, as well as their day-to-day activities are in accordance with County policies and guidelines.
- Receive and respond to inquiries from the general public, the media, families, agencies and other levels of government pertaining to the operation of the division. Ensure complaints and claims are provided prompt follow-up. Submit reports to appropriate authorities.
- Prepare and present written reports to Committee and Council.
- Participate in public meetings, advisory groups and other committees as required.
- Comply with provincial and County occupational health and safety legislation, regulations, policies and procedures.
- Maintain confidentiality in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
- Perform other duties as assigned
Has knowledge of and demonstrated ability in our leadership competencies:
- Acts with the Customer in Mind
- Makes Sound Decisions
- Thinks Strategically
- Ensures Accountability
- Continuously Seeks to Improve Work Processes
- Propels Results
- Leads Teams
- Communicates with Impact
- Develops Self
- Is Resilient
EDUCATION, TECHNICAL SKILLS AND CERTIFICATION
- Advanced knowledge of social and community services principles obtained through the completion of a degree in social services, business administration or related field of study, or equivalent.
- Advanced understanding of municipal by-laws and policies and other related legislation or initiatives and their significance and potential impact.
- Advanced leadership and supervisory skills and ability to interpret and apply employment policies and collective agreements.
- Advanced analytical skills to respond to all issues related to Social & Community Services.
- Advanced written and oral communications skills.
- Advanced planning/time management, organizational and multi-tasking skills.
- Word-processing, spreadsheet and database application skills.
- Class G Driver’s License in good standing and reliable vehicle to use on corporate business.
- Criminal Reference Check.
- A minimum ten (10) years’ experience in progressively responsible executive management positions, plus a minimum of five (5) years related senior management experience in a large complex organization within the broader public and/or private sector in a social and community services field.
- Demonstrated leadership and change management experience in the administration of social and community services.
- Experience in the leadership and supervision of staff in a unionized environment.
- Visual and mental effort required when preparing reports, presenting to Committee and Council, attending meetings.
- Regular office environment.
- Requirement to travel within the Province of Ontario.
$189,478.00 - $230,529.00
Non Union The County of Simcoe thanks all applicants for their interest in this opportunity, but please note that only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Personal information provided is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act (2001) and will be used to determine eligibility for employment.
The County of Simcoe is an equal opportunity employer, for more information click here.