Secretary - City Council / Committee of the Whole - City of Victoria
Secretary – City Council / Committee of the Whole (Continuous)
Legislative & Regulatory Services Department
Closing date: October 14, 2022
Perform secretarial functions for City Council, Council Committees and standing committees.
- Create electronic Council Committee agendas, compile documentation and correspondence; scan and upload approved agendas to meeting management application and City website; take minutes at Committee meetings and use meeting management software to interface with webcasting; upload minutes to various applications on website; craft brief introductions for agenda items and prepare summary of motions for display during meetings; follow-up on action items as required; prepare and post meeting notices; manage published agendas and minutes; maintain records of unfinished business and pending motions; forward reports and decisions / recommendations of the committee to the next appropriate decision-making level as required.
- Track, receive, edit and forward reports for agenda; review reports for accuracy and completeness prior to approval by City Manager.
- Coordinate set up of meeting facilities with cross-departmental staff team; maintain and update meeting procedures checklist; liaise with internal and external parties to coordinate reports and presentations to Committees.
- Research and retrieve historical reports, minutes and other information as required; research property legal description and property owner information. Receive and process invoices and payments as required. Coordinate filing and records systems. Serve as back-up for department coordinator.
- Prepare correspondence for Manager and City Clerk; respond to enquiries from the public, outside agencies, Council and other Departments regarding Committee business, process requirements, bylaws, policies and procedures, and other department and City information.
- Coordinate, add and edit web site content including adding meetings to the Community Calendar, linking to agendas; upload key dates and documents related to meetings to development application tracker application. Troubleshoot systems issues as needed and work with internal technical support staff and third party service providers to resolve.
- Support recruitment process for Council-appointees to Boards and Committees, including creating and updating on-line forms, data entry, website updates, and advertisement placements.
- Provide technical advice, training and guidance to user departments on the specialty software, Action Tracking, and other processes and requirements
- Perform related duties.
- Work is generated according to Council and Committee activities and by departmental requirements and is reviewed upon completion.
- Issues such as approval of agendas and minutes and late agenda items are referred to supervisor.
- Sit with arms unsupported while keyboarding. (frequent)
- Meet Council and committee deadlines. (often)
- Long periods of intense concentration while taking and transcribing meeting minutes. (frequent)
- Ability to multi task in a high pressure environment while maintaining a high level of attention to detail. (frequent)
- Focus on a variety of source data and computer for short periods. (frequent)
- Office environment with frequent public attendance.
- May be required to work irregular hours on occasion. (premium item)
KEY SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Organize and prioritize work.
- Ability to manage multiple work assignments under strict timelines and respond with flexibility to changeable timelines and priorities.
- Understand and apply techniques of office administration.
- Type 60 wpm; advanced knowledge of and experience with current City of Victoria word processing, spreadsheet, database software (e.g., Adobe Pro, Microsoft Access), and email and scheduler functions.
- Knowledge of specialty software related to meeting management applications.
- Knowledge of municipal government legislation and processes, including Local Government Act, Municipal Act, Community Charter and Council Procedures Bylaw
- Knowledge of web editing techniques.
- Take and transcribe action minutes, including the ability to type minutes in real time.
- Deal with the public in a courteous and tactful manner.
- Communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Accurately follow prescribed procedures and guidelines
- Maintain accurate record keeping systems
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Deal effectively with the public and outside agencies.
- Ability to provide technical advice, training and guidance to user departments on the specialty software, Action Tracking and other processes and requirements.
- Operate standard office equipment.
Formal Education, Training and Occupational Certification:
- High school graduation.
- Secretarial course. (6 months)
- Courses in Local Government Administration would be an asset.
- 3 years of related experience including minute taking and agenda preparation.
- or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
May be requested to substitute in a more senior position.
Work schedule: Monday - Friday, 35 hour work week
$33.79 per hour, Pay Grade 9
Job Code #4214
This is a CUPE Local 50 Position
To apply for this opportunity you will need to create an online profile or log back in to our career portal at www.victoria.ca/jobs - only online submission will be considered. All applications must be submitted online by 4:30 pm on the closing date noted on the posting. Please be prepared to provide proof of qualifications and supporting materials as outlined in your resume.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
Applicants who are not current City of Victoria employees will be asked to provide proof of vaccination against COVID-19 during the recruitment process. External applicants who cannot be fully vaccinated based on a protected legal ground as defined in the BC Human Rights Code may request an accommodation.
At the City of Victoria, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process.
If you require assistance, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.