Engagement Consultant - Urban Systems Ltd. (Calgary)
About the Opportunity
Our established Calgary branch is looking to add an experienced Engagement Consultant to our team. As part of our collaborative team, you will have the opportunity to work with internal and external clients, developing communication and engagement strategies with a focus on implementation.
Along with supporting the existing team, you will also be given the opportunity to lead projects with members of our broader engagement practice. This opportunity is well suited to those who have a keen interest in pushing forward with new ideas and who thrive outside of their comfort zone.
Coupled with the unmatched learning and project experience opportunities, some of your key responsibilities will be:
- Supporting the development of communications and engagement strategies related to urban planning, transportation engineering, large-scale and small-scale infrastructure projects, social planning, landscape architecture, and Indigenous planning.
- Creating high-quality communications materials such as social media content, news releases, project briefs, website content, posters, reports, and email correspondence.
- Supporting on-the-ground implementation of engagement activities, including the design and facilitation of workshops, engagement sessions, and other public participation techniques (virtual and in-person).
- Copywriting and editing, including reading content and correcting errors, spelling, punctuation, and grammar.
- Analyzing quantitative and qualitative engagement feedback.
- Project coordination, including managing timelines and tasks, for communications and engagement project delivery.
Our preferred candidate will have a degree in a relevant field of study and related experience in a communications and engagement field as a consultant or working with/for local, regional, or provincial governments or Indigenous communities. The following attributes and skills will be considered assets:
- A Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Public Relations, Journalism, English, Business Administration or Social Science, or the equivalent in progressive work experience.
- Familiarity with International Association for Public Participation (IAP2), with a preference for candidates with Foundations and Techniques course training.
- Ability to provide direction, strategic communication, and engagement advice to project teams.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to make complex, technical information easy to understand.
- Ability to engage an audience and create interest and excitement.
- Ability to work effectively and collaboratively in a decentralized, complex environment with a diverse range of stakeholders.
- Familiarity with analyzing and summarizing qualitative and quantitative data into meaningful themes and concise, reader-friendly outputs.
- Possess an entrepreneurial mindset; when a problem arises, you begin seeking a solution.
Urban Systems is an employee-owned inter-disciplinary community consulting firm with deep Canadian roots. We are united in our mission to transform communities everywhere into vibrant places where people want to live today, tomorrow, and forever.
At Urban Systems, vibrant communities are everything—including our own work community. Since 1975, we have grown to more than 550 people with 15 offices across Canada. Every day, our purpose-driven team works closely with our clients and their communities to deliver impactful work. We are proud to work with diverse clients, including Indigenous communities, all levels of government, commercial and residential land developers, and the natural resource sector.
Our Commitment to You
Are you looking for a meaningful challenge and to create an impact in your community? Join a tight-knit team of professionals at Urban Systems and be part of our mission to build vibrant communities across Canada. Here’s what you can expect as part of our team:
- Competitive Compensation. Your skills and contributions are valued. You’ll receive competitive compensation, extended health, dental, vision care coverage, and more.
- Flexible Hours & Work Environment. You have a life outside of work! We offer flexibility in your work schedule and work environment to help you do your best work and meet your commitments.
- Paid Time Off. We understand the importance of taking time off to recharge and spend time with loved ones! Enjoy 3 weeks of paid vacation to start, in addition to statutory days off throughout the year.
- Saving for the Future. To help you achieve your long-term financial goals, we offer a Long-Term Matching Program to match your contributions to an RRSP or TFSA.
- Learn and Grow. Your professional growth & development is supported here. You are encouraged to take initiative and shape your career through coaching, in-house learning, technical courses, and more.
- Work with Inter-Disciplinary Teams. Amazing things happen when you mix creativity, curiosity, teamwork, and a strong desire to collaborate and innovate. You will be part of diverse, inter-disciplinary teams to deliver important work for our clients and their communities.
- Beautiful Office. Do your best work in office spaces designed with your needs in mind. Each of our 15 offices has its own unique personality and design.
- Create Lasting Community Impact. 98% of Urban Systems employees believe that the work we do is important. Join a team of like-minded leaders and work together to bring impactful community projects to life!
How to Apply
If this describes your background, skills and attributes, please visit our website for more information and submit your resume and cover letter. If it doesn’t describe you exactly, but you feel you are well suited to this opportunity, we encourage you to apply.
Urban Systems is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to create an inclusive culture for all employees. Our clients come from all walks of life, and so do you. We believe that diversity and unity amongst our teams leads to building vibrant communities.
Deadline for applications: Tuesday, October 11, 2022 at 10:00 am MDT