Water & Wastewater Engineering Technologist - Haldimand County
Water & Wastewater Engineering Technologist
POSTING #: CUPE-2022-59
Posting Period: September 13 – October 3, 2022
EMPLOYEE GROUP: CUPE LOCAL 4700 (Haldimand)
POSITION STATUS: Permanent Full-Time
Hours worked per week: 40
Position: Water & Wastewater Engineering Technologist
Wage Range: $32.069 – $37.124 / hour (Jan 2022)
Department / Division: Engineering & Capital Works / Water & Wastewater Engineering
Location: Cayuga, ON
WE ARE HIRING!
Located on the Niagara Peninsula in Southern Ontario, Haldimand County is a single-tier municipality with diverse urban and rural communities, an endless supply of four-season outdoor activities and an outstanding quality of life. Our diverse team of responsive and dedicated professionals are committed to providing our citizens with high-quality services making our County a great place to work and live.
We’re currently looking for a Water & Wastewater Engineering Technologist to assist our Engineering & Capital Works team on its journey to successfully manage the growing development within our county. The ideal candidate for the Water & Wastewater Engineering Technologist position is a dedicated self-starter individual with strong communication skills and proven experience in delivering excellent customer service to its stakeholders.
The County believes in encouraging our employees to contribute to meaningful work that makes a positive difference. Joining our team opens the door to a rewarding career where the health and wellness of our employees, families, and communities is vital to the success of our workplace. The municipality’s dedication to work/life balance, flexible working hours, remote work options, wellness programs, employee recognition programs, learning and development opportunities, competitive salaries and benefits are a few of the reasons why you should join us today!
If you want to become a leader in your field and take your career to new heights, let's talk and build something great.
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
Reporting to the Project Manager - Water & Wastewater Infrastructure, and/or the Project Manager – Water & Wastewater Capital Projects, the incumbent will:
- Undertake a variety of activities to assess operation and performance of existing water and wastewater facilities to identify, prioritize and systematically address factors limiting performance, and provide technical support as it relates to achieving optimized water and wastewater performance goals;
- Support technical studies, operational exercises and Municipal Class Environmental Assessments necessary to understand and prioritize infrastructure needs;
- Support the engineering review of development submissions with regard to water and wastewater servicing using County design standards and by-laws, as well as regulatory instruments as a basis for comment;
- Practice and demonstrate the application of data-driven decision making and cause and effect analysis to enhance problem solving and operational understanding;
- Coordinate contracts, projects and consultant assignments, including the support of procurement activities;
- Collaborate with other departments and outside agencies and deliver positive customer service to the public.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- High School Grade 12 graduation plus an additional program of over two and up to three years (for example Civil Engineering or Environmental Technology).
- CET certification (OACETT member in good standing) is preferred. PLUS
- Over four years of current related experience including progressive responsibilities in the professional field of water and wastewater.
Or equivalent to the combinations outlined above.
Must hold the professional designation as a Certified Engineering Technologist (CET) issued by OACETT (Ontario Association of Certified Engineering Technicians and Technologists) or be eligible for that designation.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS REQUIRED:
- General knowledge of water and wastewater systems including design and operation;
- Understanding of and experience with performance (data) driven decision making as it relates to water treatment/distribution and wastewater treatment/collection;
- Understanding of and experience with the Municipal Class Environmental Assessment (MCEA) process;
- Knowledge of project management principles and practices; and experience in their application to support project delivery that is in scope, on time and within budget;
- Strong research, analytical, report writing and problem solving skills;
- Understanding of regulatory policies and legislation related to water and wastewater;
- Understanding of municipal government, its operations and services;
- Proven interpersonal skills that establish and maintain relations with others (County staff, peers within other organizations, consultants, contractors, agencies / organizations);
- Excellent communication skills (listening, writing, verbal);
- Good time management / organization skills to identify priorities, meet deadlines and manage several activities simultaneously;
- Valid Ontario Drivers license and access to a reliable vehicle.
Level 4 - The incumbent must possess intermediate and advanced computer skills scored at 65% or higher for Outlook and at least one of Word / Excel / PowerPoint to ensure their:
- proven ability to use desktop or department / division specific software packages on their own or combine information from different software packages to get the desired result
- solid understanding of the software to enable the incumbent to know the best tool to do the job efficiently.
- knowledge to utilize software to develop quality reports, professional looking presentations, publications and/or to develop complex spreadsheets for analysis or presentation of data (including use of formulae)
Accountabilities / Tasks
Include, but are not limited to, the following:
Divisional Program Support
- Lead activities for the review and ongoing assessment of water and wastewater contract operations, process control and treatment plant performance as it relates to the County’s established optimized performance goals, including:
- Routinely review plant performance through the use of the County’s data management system and raise issues, concerns and items of interest to management and contract operations for awareness and action;
- Supporting monthly performance review meetings with County and contracted operations staff;
- Supporting comprehensive technical guidance/assistance to Environmental Operations and contracted operations to enhance understanding of existing water and wastewater infrastructure and process control;
- Supporting comprehensive evaluations of the water and wastewater treatment systems on a scheduled basis to determine performance limiting factors related to operations, management, treatment capability and maintenance;
- Supporting operational divisions in the development, conducting and documenting of special studies;
- Contributing to effective Strategic Planning Meetings (SPM’s) geared to identify, prioritize and problem solve issues related to the management, operation, design and maintenance of water and wastewater facilities;
- Preparation and/or review of technical reports.
- Provide leadership in the management and operation of the County’s water and wastewater data management system, including technical assistance and support to operational divisions.
- Carry out activities associated with the County’s Biosolids Management Program, including sludge accountability analysis and oversight of biosolids removal and disposal by the contract operator.
- Support the development of the Rate Supported Budget and 10-Year Forecast through the identification and prioritization of capital projects, including the development of project budgets.
- Carry out activities associated with the County’s Asset Management Program (AMP) as it relates to water and wastewater infrastructure and support integration of outputs from contract operations AMP’s into the County’s data base.
- Support Comprehensive Startup activities associated with commissioning new equipment and infrastructure.
- Prepare Requests for Proposals, Requests for Quotation and support the preparation of tenders by consultants, in support of the procurement of goods and services by the County.
- Review consultants work from a technical and administrative perspective to ensure that their design and project delivery are complete and meet corporate standards and the terms of reference.
- Support all processes and activities associated with Municipal Class Environmental Assessment study work, including the participation in Public Information Centers.
- Support the coordination and review of Development Proposals related to water and wastewater servicing
- Responsible for some financial oversight of assigned projects, including related reporting, documentation, account set-up, and closure, which also may include special grants, subsidies, and financing.
- Support both County led and Contract Operator led capital projects to ensure all works undertaken are in compliance with applicable legislative and regulated requirements.
- Review, monitor, forecast project activities, and prepare reports with recommendations on various technical areas within identified position accountabilities.
- Responsible for preparing and presenting reports to update Council, the Senior Management Team and others, recommending specific actions, if / where required.
- Provide effective public relations to sustain the positive image of the Corporation in Haldimand County i.e., Class EA meetings, Public Information Centres, and specific project meetings, etc.
- Provide assistance to operational divisions, agencies, contractors and the public on technical matters.
- Provide vacation relief in the absence of their Supervisor, if and as assigned and/or to represent the Supervisor at meetings if required.
- Ensure the awareness and the safe conduct of work within applicable Acts, regulations, approved County policies and procedures, including current collective agreement(s).
- Continuously promote a collaborative working relationship with contract operations, consultants and staff to promote a spirit of trust and respect while achieving common goals.
- Promote clear and concise communication in an effort to ensure all work is well coordinated so that plant performance is protected and the completion of project activities are achieved on time and within budget.
- Provide mentorship and the transfer of skills to colleagues/peers where opportunities arise.
- Continuously promote project goals and objectives so that they are always in consideration and achieved by staff, contractors and consultants.
- Ensure a positive workplace free of intimidation and harassment.
- Constructively contribute to the development of Corporate, Department, Division and sectional goals and objectives, when and as requested/required.
- Identify and propose improvements to the program strategies, plans, policies, procedures and agreements that support successful achievement of the Division’s defined goals and objectives.
- Represent the Department and/or Division at relevant meetings.
- Establish and maintain relationships with counterparts in other Municipal governments, provincial Ministries, Federal departments, Conservation Authorities and other agencies and ensure cooperative relations with staff.
- Through positive personal conduct, establish and maintain peer relationships.
- Demonstrate commitment to the Haldimand County code of conduct.
- Practice effective public relations to sustain the positive image of the County.
All Haldimand County employees are expected to:
- Work safely and respect others in the work place.
- Maintain confidentiality.
- Work within policies and procedures determined by Haldimand County and / or legislation relative to the function.
This position requires:
- a current (within the past 6 months) Police Check NO
County employees who are interested in applying for this position must complete the EMPLOYEE APPLICATION FORM and submit the completed form together with a resume and covering letter as appropriate in confidence to Human Resources by 4:30 p.m. on the last day of this posting.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Accommodation is available for any applicant with a disability, as it relates to the recruitment process of this position. Upon request, Haldimand County will consult with the applicant and provide, or arrange for the provision of a suitable accommodation in a manner that takes into account the applicant’s accessibility needs due to disability.
As per current Legislation, if it is determined that those employees with priority placement status are suitable for this job, before a selection decision has been made, this competition may be cancelled.