Director, Human Resources - City of Kitchener
City of Kitchener
Director, Human Resources
Competition Number N#84
Job Code 0243
Posting Date September 9, 2022
Closing Date September 26, 2022
Job Status Permanent Full-Time
The City of Kitchener is a vibrant and dynamic city of approximately 250,000, in the heart of southwestern Ontario. As the largest municipality in Waterloo Region, Kitchener continues to be poised for development and growth, enhancing its reputation as a leader in city-building and innovation, with nationally recognized strategies to build its neighbourhoods, its digital infrastructure and its diverse economy.
The City of Kitchener is WHERE you want to work! Learn more about the top reasons to join us:
Why work at the City of Kitchener
The City of Kitchener is looking for a visionary and authentic leader as its next Director, Human Resources. Reporting to the General Manager of Corporate Services, the human resources division oversees all employee-centred services for the Kitchener Public Service, including recruitment, compensation and benefits, learning and organizational development, labour relations, employee health, safety and wellness, HR Analytics and HRIS.
As the division's next Director, you will lead and mentor a team of 24 employees through an exciting time of unprecedented change in our organization. You are someone that:
Builds trust and inspires others
- You are passionate about public service and the success of people, first and foremost.
- You know how to influence and build collaborative relationships, operating with a high degree of credibility.
- You lead by example, motivating others by doing what you say you will.
Promotes service excellence
- You are comfortable with change and driven by providing exceptional customer service.
- You actively seek opportunities to modernize policies and processes to meet the expectations of a changing workforce.
- You bring a finer lens to efforts in workforce analytics, health and wellness, workplace culture and collaborative labour relations.
Helps us tell a story of modern public service
- You will sharpen our efforts in talent attraction, retention and diversity to ensure Kitchener remains an employer of choice and reflects the community we serve.
- You will develop a clear value proposition for how your division supports the Corporate Leadership Team in areas of organizational development and innovation.
- You connect vision with strategy, showcasing Kitchener's commitment to service and organizational excellence.
Positioned for success
You are a reputable and accomplished professional with extensive leadership experience in human resources and organizational development. You have demonstrated experience in HR best practices while building positive employee experience and enabling desired workplace culture. You have strong interpersonal, communication, negotiation and dispute resolution skills and can effectively understand the organization and take a strategic systems perspective. Your sound understanding of industry trends, policy setting, municipal government and/or the broader public sector further provides you with strong foundations to successfully lead this ambitious assignment.
You have seven plus years of progressive leadership experience in human resources, management, organizational development, preferably in a multi-union environment. You have a four-year honours degree in a related field, or a three-year degree or diploma in a related field with a minimum of 10 years’ related leadership experience. You also hold accreditation in a recognized human resource association, preferably a Certified Human Resources Leader (CHRL) or a Certified Human Resource Executive (CHRE).
The City of Kitchener is committed to an equity-driven, inclusive, accessible, and barrier-free recruitment and selection process, and to ensuring our workforce reflects the full diversity of the community we serve. We welcome applications from Indigenous, Black, racialized and 2SLGBTQ+ persons, as well as other equity deserving groups.
We will accommodate the needs of applicants under the Human Rights Code and Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) throughout all stages of the recruitment and selection process. Please contact Human Resources at email@example.com or 519-741-2200 ext. 7261 to make your needs known, so that we can support your full and equal participation throughout the hiring process.
We appreciate the interest of all applicants. Only candidates whose skills, experience and qualifications meet the requirements of the position will be contacted.
Please note that as per Human Resources Policy HUM-HIR-110, "Employment of Relatives of Staff Members and Elected Officials":
"The immediate relatives of staff of the Human Resources Division, all Directors, General Managers, or the Chief Administrative Officer and Elected Officials shall not be employed by the City in any capacity.
The immediate relatives of all other Management personnel shall not be employed where such employment would be:
1. within the same Department in the case of permanent full-time, temporary full-time and part-time classifications.
2. within the same Division in the case of students."
Department Corporate Services
Division Human Resources
Union Affiliation Non-Union/Management
Number of Positions 1
Hours of Work 35 hours per week
Initial Location City Hall
Salary Range $132,773 - $165,965
Grade/Band 13 (Under Review)