Sustainability Coordinator - City of Penticton
Employment Type: Full-time Permanent
Location: Penticton, BC, CA
Apply URL: https://penticton.prevueaps.ca/jobs/17495.html
Penticton is a vibrant, innovative, healthy waterfront city focused on sustainability, community, and economic opportunity. At the City of Penticton, our goal is to serve our residents, businesses, and visitors through good governance, partnership, and the delivery of effective and community-focused services. The City of Penticton is looking to fill the position of Sustainability Coordinator in our Public Works Department.
Reporting to the Sustainability Supervisor and the Public Works Manager, the Sustainability Coordinator helps to plan, organize, and participate in the daily maintenance and development of sustainability initiatives. This includes solid waste and recycling initiatives, recycling compliance and contamination reduction, technical support on bio-solids composting, and the monitoring and reporting of the City's corporate greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions. This position involves year-round outside work.
- Develop and administer public education programs relating to residential solid waste and recycling initiatives.
- Implement strategies in the curbside and multifamily Contamination Remediation Plan to reduce the contamination rate of residential recycling to less than 3%.
- Monitor the waste collection cart program inventory and maintenance requirements.
- Assist with the administration of contracts related to the management of solid waste and recycling initiatives.
- Monitor budget and program expenditures, maintain work records, and prepare related reports.
- Coordinating all corporate GHG emission data from various sources.
- Reporting out on the progress of the City's Climate Action Charter commitments, and making recommendations for improvements and actions to further reduce GHG emissions or offset carbon emissions.
- Assist with implementing the recommended actions of the Corporate Energy and Emissions Plan and Community Climate Action Plan.
This role is a great fit for someone who enjoys working with the public, solving problems related to behavioural change, and can withstand conflicting priorities on a tight timeline.
Required Knowledge, Abilities & Skills:
- Understanding of waste reduction and recycling compliance best practices.
- Knowledge of the practices, procedures, legislation, policies, and bylaws governing sustainable transportation and mobility, buildings, land use, infrastructure, agriculture, waste, water, and other relevant sectors.
- Knowledge of climate change mitigation and adaptation (policy, action, and science), and energy and GHG emissions management and reporting.
- Knowledge of compost operations and compliance with the Organic Matter Recycling Regulation.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and ability to deal with people professionally and the ability to be engaging when educating a broad and diverse audience.
- Strong technology skills, including a minimum of intermediate proficiency in current software programs.
- Ability to work co-operatively or independently, problem-solve and exercise independence of judgment.
- Strong writing skills (reports, policies, and procedures).
Education, Training & Experience:
- Completion of a post-secondary degree or diploma with a specialization in Planning, Sustainability, Energy Management, Environmental Studies, or Resource Management.
- One to two years of work experience in sustainability or related fields.
- Recent experience in climate change planning or solid waste management is considered an asset.
- Driver's Licence - Minimum of Class 5
At the City of Penticton, we recognize that great talent and great ideas come from a variety of backgrounds. Tapping into the diversity of our community makes us all stronger and allows us to serve Penticton even better.
That's why we welcome all applicants to consider joining our team. We encourage Indigenous persons, people of colour, all genders and expressions, 2SLGBT2QIA+, persons living with disabilities, and others who reflect our ever-changing workplace to apply.
So, if your experience is close to what we're looking for, we would love a chance to talk about working with you. We welcome your cover letter and resume by August 14, 2022.
Permanent Full-time (40 hours per week)
$35.10 - $39.02 per hour (Pay Grade 15, CUPE)
Attractive benefits, vacation and pension package
Apply at https://penticton.prevueaps.ca/jobs/17495.html