Finance Coordinator, Budgets and Analytics - School District No. 43 (Coquitlam)
Coquitlam School District No. 43
Finance Coordinator, Budgets and Analytics
Are you a CPA student or recent graduate starting the CPA program? Are you experienced with data analysis and excel? The perfect opportunity to obtain your CPA and grow your career exists at School District No. 43 (Coquitlam) in the role of Finance Coordinator, Budgets and Analytics.
School District No.43 (Coquitlam) is the third largest school district in BC with approximately 4,300 employees and 32,000 students in over 70 schools. We serve the communities of Coquitlam, Port Coquitlam, Port Moody, and the villages of Anmore and Belcarra.
Reporting to a Manager of Finance – Budgets and Analytics, the Finance Coordinator, Budgets and Analytics is responsible for assisting in the development of the district’s budgets, primarily by performing complex analytical reviews, account reconciliations, providing general support to the finance department, and supervising clerical staff as assigned.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Performs analytical reviews of accounts, specifically, district salary budgets and FTE counts, variance explanation, and corrections
- Prepares multi-year and historical analysis of data
- Prepares and maintains backup budget spreadsheets for all financial statement items within the operating budget
- Performs account reconciliations and investigation, including the preparation budget reallocations and of adjusting journal entries as needed
- Prepares and maintains a variety of internal reports and spreadsheets related to functions of the position; assists with the organization of accurate budget records and files
- Prepares and verifies cost-pressure requests and proposals submitted to the Finance Department for changes in funding or FTE staffing
- Works with District staff to answer queries, problem-solve and rectify accounting and budgeting issues
- Implements and maintains school-based accounting systems and budget-related systems in accordance with the incumbent’s duties
- Supports managers by assisting with grant applications, budget preparation, budget maintenance, and subsequent reporting requirements
- Assists the Manager of Finance during the Annual and Amended budgeted process as required
- Prepares year end routine and ad-hoc working papers as assigned by the Manager of Finance
- Documents business processes related to duties of the position and makes recommendations for improvement and/or enhancement
- Supervision of clerical staff within the Finance department:
- Allocates and assigns work based on department priorities
- Ensures staff are accountable for their work and organization
- Evaluates employee performance, provides feedback, and makes recommendations to the Manager of Finance
- Participates in the hiring and training process for new clerical staff.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant discipline (such as accounting, business administration, or finance)
- Working towards a professional accounting designation, or eligible for entry into the CPA Professional Education Program (PEP)
- Minimum of two years’ experience in budget analysis or 3 to 5 years relevant work experience
- A combination of education, training and experience may be considered
- Experience developing and/or maintaining complex spreadsheets; preparing financial statement information and reports
- Strong analytical skills and accuracy, including the ability to meet deadlines
- Strong software skills, including accounting software and excel
- Ability to establish effective working relationships with staff, including the ability to problem-solve and implement solutions
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (verbal and written)
- Work experience in the public sector and/or a school district is considered an asset
- Previous work experience with Power BI is considered an asset.
This is an exempt position with the starting salary at $69,853 (currently under review) is offered along with a generous benefits package. The successful applicant will be required to complete two criminal record checks.
Applications will be assessed as they are received
To apply, please click on the following link and create a user account/profile. Please complete the Exempt Staff Questions when creating your profile.
Once you have completed your profile you will have access to the job postings.
We appreciate your interest but regret that only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
The deliberations of employees, and Committees used to screen and consider job applications, shall be kept in strict confidence, and shall not be disclosed to any person except as required by law. Personal references, recommendations and evaluations collected or generated by Board employees and Committee members as part of the Board’s hiring processes (other than references whose authorship and content is already known to the job applicant) shall be treated as having been supplied in confidence to the Board for the purposes of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act..”