Waterworks Operator III (Treatment) - Comox Valley Regional District
Waterworks Operator III (Treatment)
The Comox Valley is an attractive geographic location, rich in rural agriculture, vibrant urban development, meandering coastline and dramatic mountains. There are spectacular outdoor activities available throughout the region, offering unlimited possibilities to current and prospective residents.
At the Comox Valley Regional District (CVRD) we work collaboratively, continually look toward the future and strive to be the change we wish to see in our communities. Our values coupled with a commitment to leadership excellence and a resolute focus on serving the residents of the Comox Valley, help to create an organizational culture that’s second to none. What we do goes beyond work, offering our employees the support to achieve and maintain a healthy balance between work and lifestyle. Working with the CVRD is a plus for everyone.
We are currently seeking a Waterworks Operator III (Treatment) to join our Engineering Services team. The Waterworks Operator III is responsible for the daily operation, and routine maintenance, of the water treatment plant equipment, and related facilities of the Comox Valley Regional District (CVRD) and other specified local water service areas. Reporting to the Senior Operator – Water Treatment, the primary responsibilities of this role include:
- Installing, maintaining, monitoring, and testing water treatment plant equipment, including but not limited to, general maintenance on pumps, valves, chemical dosing equipment, piping and a variety of analyzers;
- Maintaining daily operating records, recording analysis and flows, summarizing results of the plant throughout various stages of the process;
- Interpreting data from instrumentation and alarms, analyzing and troubleshooting problems, developing and implementing solutions;
- Monitor/control treatment plant operation with SCADA and assess trends and make suggestions for process optimization;
- Monitoring equipment operation and repairing minor problems, along with reporting major problems to the Senior Operator – Water Treatment as required;
- Obtaining quotes and ordering parts and equipment within pre-defined limits;
- Testing, calibrating, maintaining and repairing equipment utilized in the repair, maintenance and operation of water treatment facilities;
- Review drawings of water systems and components (including P&IDs) and updating files as appropriate;
- Evaluating and monitoring operation of plant equipment such as pressure sensors, analyzers, flow meters, blowers, chemical dosage pumps, ultraviolet disinfection and related equipment;
- Responding to emergency callouts and working on standby;
- Undertaking other assigned duties and projects as required;
Our ideal candidate is:
- Mechanically inclined and able to troubleshoot complex problems;
- Independent and able to exercise sound judgment when responding to emergency calls;
- Safety-conscious with a demonstrated commitment to safe work practices;
- Team-oriented with strong interpersonal skills including the ability to mentor junior staff;
- Detail oriented with the ability to keep accurate and complete records;
- Experienced in the operation and maintenance of a direct filtration water treatment plant with over four up to five years of related experience;
- Educated at the post-secondary level including completion of two years of courses in a related field (science) and Certified with EOCP (Water Treatment - Level 3), Level 1 First Aid with a Valid BC Class 5 Driver’s license;
- Other preferred certifications include: EOCP Water Distribution - Level 1 and certified BCWWA Cross Connection Control and Backflow Prevention tester;
- Adept at using computer software and programs;
- Flexible in working extra hours on standby and emergency call-out on a rotational basis.
This is a CUPE Local 556 position with a wage rate of $39.23 per hour (currently under review). To review the complete job description and to apply go to www.comoxvalleyrd.ca/jobs.
The closing date for this position is August 19, 2022 at 3:00 pm. Applications for available positions with the CVRD must be received prior to the indicated closing date and time. We appreciate all applications; however, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
The CVRD acknowledges the unceded, traditional territory of the K’ómoks First Nation on which we live, work and play.
The Comox Valley Regional District is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all individuals.