Childcare Activity Leader - City of Vancouver
Childcare Activity LeaderRequisition ID: 36817
RayCam Cooperative Centre is located on the unceded territories of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish) and sel̓íl̓witulh (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations. We are a full-fledged community centre located in the heart of the Downtown Eastside/Strathcona Community. We operate programs and services which effectively advance the opportunity and abilities of children, youth, families and seniors in our community.
Main Purpose and Function
This position assists in implementing an enriched child care program located in Vancouver's Downtown Eastside that meets the needs of children 3 to 5 years of age. This position also provides opportunities for typical and extra support needs children to be integrated in an inclusive setting.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
Responsibilities include assisting in planning and leading age appropriate programs for preschool children plus ensuring opportunities for extra support needs children are part of the daily curriculum. Assists in modifying activities that help with child development and social learning. Works with outside professionals; assists in writing individual care plans and reports. Builds and fosters positive and healthy relationships with children, families and staff.
Education and Experience:
- Completion of Early Childhood Education (ECE) Basic Level Certificate is required, with a current license.
- A Special Needs Certificate is preferred.
- Some experience with working with special needs children.
- Working in a minimum of two childcare settings preferred.
- A current and valid First Aid certificate is required.
- A current Food Safe certificate is required.
- A Police Records Check is a requirement of this position. A clearance requires the absence of any charges or convictions related to this position.
- Sound knowledge of the fundamentals of community childcare programs
- Knowledge and experience of community resources
- Previous experience writing precise individual care planning and reports
- Ability to plan and lead daycare curriculum/activities for typical and special needs children
- Experience with group dynamics and behaviour management
- Sound knowledge of community care licensing requirements
- Demonstrated ability in supporting families in crisis and to recommend appropriate referrals.
- Knowledge of community healthcare resources and childcare licensing requirements; philosophy and objectives of a community daycare program.
- Previous experience and documentation around child protection issues is preferred.
- Knowledge of safety practices, policies and regulations applicable to the work performed.
- Ability to liaise with relevant professionals and other groups.
- A class 4 driver’s license and second language would be an asset.
The City of Vancouver has a COVID-19 Mandatory Vaccination Policy. All external applicants applying to RayCam Cooperative Centre are required to be fully vaccinated as a condition of hire and subject to this policy as a condition of ongoing employment. Candidates may only be exempted from this requirement if they request and are approved for an accommodation based on a reason related to a Human Rights Code ground (such as disability). Such a request must be made during, not after, the recruitment process.
Business Unit/Department: Ray-Cam Co-operative Centre
Affiliation: CUPE Local 15 Bargaining Unit (VMECW)
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: August 2022
Salary Information: Pay Grade PG-14: $25.86 - $30.29 per hour
Application Close: August 14, 2022
RayCam, as a partner with City of Vancouver, is committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process.Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.