District Plumbing & Gas Inspector - City of Vancouver
District Plumbing & Gas InspectorRequisition ID: 36744
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) Peoples, Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada's Top 100 Employers, BC's Top Employers, and Canada's Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
Performs technical work of a regulatory, inspectional and enforcement nature to ensure all plumbing, gas, sprinkler, drainage and sewer installations comply with related codes, by-laws, regulations and standards including the Vancouver Building By-Law, Gas Act and Regulations, NFPA and the Sewer and Watercourse Bylaws.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Reviews infractions with owners/contractors/installers, notifies and discusses the corrections that are required
- Conducts re-inspections and follow-ups on outstanding work and/or violation
- Maintains accurate inspection records and prepares concise inspection reports
- Examines and interprets plans and specifications to ensure compliance with requirements of plumbing, sprinkler, sewer, drainage and gas installations and systems
- Duties will mainly focus on field inspections, plan review, entering information into a computerized tracking & retrieval system
- Liaising with other District Inspectors, City Sewer crews and interpreting City infrastructures
- Working as part of a coordinated enforcement team for various programs
Education and Experience:
- Completion of Grade 12, preferably supplemented by technical courses; completion of the Plumbing Apprenticeship and extensive experience as a journeyman
- Registered as a Journeyman Plumber with the Province of BC supplemented with a Cross Connection Certificate
- Extensive experience as a foreman, superintendent or contractor, or an equivalent combination of training and experience
- Preference will be giving to candidates whom have completed Part 3 and Part 9 of the Building by-law
- Class B-Gas Fitters License and Certificate of Qualification as a Gas Safety Officer or be eligible for a Certificate of Qualification as a Gas Safety Officer
- Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly orally and in writing and able to prepare reports; and the ability to work independently in the field and to make on-site evaluations and decisions
- Experience and/or technical courses in sprinkler installations would be an asset
- Local area travel is a requirement of this position
- Certificate of Qualification in Plumbing for the Province of British Columbia
- Class B Gas Fitters License for the Province of British Columbia
- Certificate of Competency as a Gas Inspector
- Cross Connection Control Specialists Certificate
Completion of the Gas safety Officer exam within the first six months of employment will be a condition for continued employment
The City of Vancouver has a COVID-19 Mandatory Vaccination Policy. All external applicants applying to the City of Vancouver are required to be fully vaccinated as a condition of hire and subject to this policy as a condition of ongoing employment. Candidates may only be exempted from this requirement if they request and are approved for an accommodation based on a reason related to a Human Rights Code ground (such as disability). Such a request must be made during, not after, the recruitment process.
Business Unit/Department: Development, Buildings & Licensing (1250)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: September 2022
Position End Date: September 15, 2024
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-027: $43.82 to $51.78 per hour
Application Close: August 14, 2022
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, 2SLGBTQ+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process.Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Before you click Apply now
Once you start your application you can save your work and leave the applications page, however please remember to submit your profile to the specific job requisition before the posting closing date.
In addition to uploading your cover letter and resume, part of the application process may include answering application questions related to the preferred requirements of the role which may take approx.. 5-10mins. Cover letters should express interest and highlight additional information relevant to the position and resumes should include a tailored summary of skills and experience related to the position.