Aquatic Leader - City of Vancouver
Aquatic LeaderRequisition ID: 36705
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) Peoples, Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada's Top 100 Employers, BC's Top Employers, and Canada's Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
The Aquatic Leader provides leadership in the provision and direction of aquatic programs and services at an aquatic facility. This position will check and participate in the work of staff engaged in swimming instruction, lifeguarding, maintenance, custodial, and clerical/cashiering related tasks. Additionally, this position will instruct lifesaving programs, ensure the safety of facility users, perform first aid as required and perform routine pool custodial work. The successful candidate may also assist in developing aquatic programs, preparing records, reports and statistics related to the work, and schedule and supervise the work of aquatic staff.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
The responsibilities of this role include ensuring the safety of swimmers and other patrons, ensuring that participants have an enjoyable recreation experience in the facility, providing assistance to participants and staff at the fitness and community centre, providing coverage for the cashier, supervising the auxiliary staff and other related duties as required.
This position is located at Killarney Pool, however the successful candidate must be prepared to be placed and/or accept transfers to other facilities in the organization based on operational needs. The successful candidate will be required to work a variety of shifts including mornings, afternoons and weekends, as operationally required and in accordance with the Collective Agreement.
Education and Experience:
- Completion of high school supplemented by training courses related to the work and sound experience as a lifeguard and swim instructor, or an equivalent combination of training and experience
- The following certifications are required (candidates must have current and valid certifications at the time of the posting close date):
- Current Lifesaving Society Swim Instructor (SI) certification
- Current Lifesaving Society Instructor (LSI) certification
- Current Lifesaving Society National Lifeguard Service (NL) - Pool Option certification
- Current CPR "C" certification (or equivalent)
- Current Standard First Aid certification (or equivalent)
- BCRPA Water Fit certification preferred
- OFA Level II certification preferred
- Sound knowledge of both theory and practice of swimming instruction, lifesaving, lifeguarding, aquatic fitness, first aid, and specialized instruction for people with disabilities
- Considerable knowledge of the hazards, related precautions, and safety regulations related to the work
- Working knowledge of pool chemistry, water filtration, chlorination and related pool equipment and procedures, including basic trouble-shooting and situational management
- Ability to instruct all age groups and swim classes at various competency levels including lifesaving programs
- Ability to develop instruction programs for varied levels of swimmers and to organize and lead staff in service training
- Sound knowledge of teaching methods and group leadership techniques emphasizing instruction in water safety and aquatic skills
- Working knowledge of the principles and practices involved in the implementation, evaluation, organization and delivery of instructional and recreational aquatic programs
- Ability to direct, check and participate in the work of staff engaged in aquatic instruction, lifeguarding, maintenance, custodial, and cashiering/clerical tasks
- Ability to assist in the training and evaluating work of staff engaged in aquatic services
- Ability to examine and mark swimmers for proficiency and to maintain related class records
- Ability to prepare and maintain records and statistics manually and using computer applications
- Ability to establish and maintain effective and courteous working relations with staff, public and user groups
- Ability to work varied hours, including evening and weekend shifts
The City of Vancouver has a COVID-19 Mandatory Vaccination Policy. All external applicants applying to the City of Vancouver are required to be fully vaccinated as a condition of hire and subject to this policy as a condition of ongoing employment. Candidates may only be exempted from this requirement if they request and are approved for an accommodation based on a reason related to a Human Rights Code ground (such as disability). Such a request must be made during, not after, the recruitment process.
Business Unit/Department: Board of Parks & Recreation (1400)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Parks
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: September, 2022
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-016: $27.98 to $32.87 per hour
Application Close: August 14th, 2022
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, 2SLGBTQ+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process.Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Before you click Apply now
Once you start your application you can save your work and leave the applications page, however please remember to submit your profile to the specific job requisition before the posting closing date.
In addition to uploading your cover letter and resume, part of the application process may include answering application questions related to the preferred requirements of the role which may take approx.. 5-10mins. Cover letters should express interest and highlight additional information relevant to the position and resumes should include a tailored summary of skills and experience related to the position.