Clerical - City of Kamloops
(Permanent, On-Call) # 779
Closing Date: August 10, 2022
At the City of Kamloops, we believe in progressive and barrier-free recruitment for everybody every day. This means employment opportunities for all in a safe, inclusive and diverse workplace. We know our city is stronger when we hire qualified individuals from different backgrounds with diverse experiences, cultures and perspectives.
We are focused on creating the highest levels of service excellence, based on an organization-wide community culture that celebrates our employees who make it all happen. We are known as Canada’s Tournament Capital and are famous for our hospitality and community spirit, traits that make us a leader! Recreation, sports, arts and culture, health care, social activities, volunteerism, and affordable housing all meld to form a unique blend of big-city amenities with small-town ambience. This is Kamloops!
Let’s make Kamloops shine! Join our team today.
An exciting and challenging opportunity exists for Permanent, On-Call clerical positions with the City of Kamloops. These positions offer candidates a great opportunity to meet many staff and work in various City departments such as Kamloops Fire Rescue, Engineering, Civic Operations, Finance, Switchboard, Print Shop and Mailroom. Clerical staff are responsible for providing coverage for vacation, sick calls and short- term leaves throughout the City. If you are looking for a position that supports your exceptional customer service and organizational skills, all the while enhancing your knowledge of the City’s operations then this Clerical position may be a great fit for you!
The successful candidate must have the following qualifications:
- Completion of senior secondary school or its equivalent.
- Completion of a post secondary certificate in administration or business plus one year office experience OR three years’ office experience, one of which being in a large, multi-faceted organization.
- Three months previous accounting experience or completion of a Financial Accounting course.
- Minimum one year previous experience working in an office environment where dealing with the public in person and on the phone was a significant part of the job.
- Basic skills in office systems technology, including print/fax/copy/cash handling/debit/credit machines.
- Proficient in intermediate Word, intermediate Excel, and intermediate PowerPoint as demonstrated through testing. A 70% pass rate is required.
- Proficient in intermediate alphanumeric data entry, as demonstrated through testing.
- Minimum typing speed of 45 net words per minute, as demonstrated through testing.
- Valid Drivers License – class 5 or equivalent.
Please note that more than one may be hired. This is an on-call position, there is no guarantee of hours. Please note the rate for on-call clerical may vary dependent on the position the incumbent works.
For new hires, and for those working in designated positions of trust, including those working directly with vulnerable persons, no formal offer of employment will be made until an applicant completes a police information check.
This position will receive 14% in lieu of all benefits, vacation, stat holidays, and health time.
Hours & Days of Work
Hours per Week
Please note if you need assistance or have individual needs or requirements throughout the application process, contact the Human Resources Department by telephone, email email@example.com or in person at 105 Seymour Street so we can better support you.
External job postings are open to everyone. We are an equal opportunity employer and thank all applicants for their interest. Please be sure to review the application requirements of each job you apply for. Only those selected to participate in the recruitment process will be contacted.
Applications are accepted online at kamloops.ca/careers.