Director, Legislative & Administrative Services - Town of Cochrane
Town of Cochrane
Director, Legislative & Administrative Services
Location: RancheHouse, Cochrane Alberta
Type: Full-Time Permanent, Non-Union Salary
Closing: Position will be open until suitable candidate is found, as a high priority position we will begin selections for next stage of recruitment commencing August 8th, 2022.
Application: Submit resume and cover letter to www.cochrane.ca/jobs .
We evaluate applications with a great deal of care and consideration and appreciate the time and effort put into job applications by job applicants – it is a job looking for a job! With this in mind, we are transparent that we are big fans of cover letters to link your unique skills and experience to the position we are filling.
Organization Overview The Town of Cochrane
Our organization is experiencing a cultural evolution and unprecedented growth with a focus on transparency, critical thinking, curiosity, reflection and innovation. We support experimentation as part of the growth process and strive for continuous improvement. We inspire a shared organizational belonging, in turn, providing exceptional service delivery to residents, visitors and guests to the beautiful community.
Inspire A Shared Vision
We inspire a shared vision to think beyond the immediate and explore multiple potential paths. As the leaders of the Town, we ensure business goals are met by actively planning, evaluating, and updating the approach and thinking, when needed. We share information transparently and appropriately. We listen to our team's input and establish connections to organization and community priorities.
As leaders we build a foundation of positive, intentional, and trusting professional relationships. We empower people to achieve personal growth and nurture the Town's organizational values.
Lead Yourself, Influence Others
We lead ourselves from the inside out by aligning to the Town's values and seeking self-awareness, self-regulation, and continually reflecting. Understanding the impact of our positional power and authority. We demonstrate the courage to do what is right, even if it is not easy.
Always Learning, Always Growing
We approach situations with curiosity, seeking opportunities to learn and innovate, and question the applicability of past approaches in the current environment. In a leadership role we both pursue and encourage personal and professional growth, while modeling behaviour that is supportive of experimentation and the philosophy that failure is part of the growth process.
We Are Who We Decide To Be
In everything we do we model behavior to foster an environment which reinforces the Town's culture to align with organizational values. We intentionally choose our culture every day.
The Director, Legislative and Administrative Services supports and contributes to the overall corporate culture, mission, vision, and values through demonstrating corporate leadership competencies and strategic decision making. Provides leadership to the Legislative and Administrative Services departments for the Town of Cochrane. Reporting to the Executive Director, Corporate Services, this position focuses on building systems and effective interdepartmental service delivery by an engaged team, this role is key in ensuring value for Cochrane residents.
The Director will lead and support strategy, process, and policy development to help drive Legislative and Administrative services. The position does this by working on building systems with internal and external stakeholders and partners to proactively identify and pursue opportunities; building and maintaining senior relationships within government, industry, and stakeholders; and leading collaborative interdepartmental initiatives.
- Responsible for the delivery of municipal service levels, direction, and administration of the Legislative Services and Administrative Services Departments.
- Oversees the departmental operating and capital budget development while ensuring effective financial, business planning and spending practices. Demonstrates a commitment to upholding our corporate culture, mission, vision, and values established by the organization through active participation and regular communication to all internal and external stakeholders.
- Ensures policies and legislative requirements of the municipality are implemented and aligned with Administrative and Council priorities according to the Municipal Government Act (MGA) and related applicable legislation.
- Provides leadership, coaching and strategic support to all reporting Managers in the development and implementation of departmental budgets, employees, service delivery and operational plans.
- Translates Council objectives into respective department goals by ensuring clear understanding and communication and ensures that divisional objectives are being met.
- Active participant in the Emergency Management program and related training.
- Leads the development of long-term master plans or studies and oversees the implementation of such according to Council’s direction.
- Ensures all work is performed in accordance with workplace health and safety standards and that all Town policies and procedures and any provincial or federal legislation are current and upheld.
- Directs and manages legal matters including obtaining legal advice as required.
- Leads and develops organizational risk management and mitigation strategies and policies.
- Manages the receipt, investigation, and disposition of all liability claims against the Town in consultation with legal counsel and insurance providers.
- Leads the customer service and administrative support functions across the organization.
- Leads teams responsible for Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy (FOIP), records management, Municipal Clerk, policy development, elections, procurement support and legislative compliance, and insurance administration functions.
- Oversees the preparation of contracts, leases, agreements, and land disposition ensuring statutory and legal requirements are met.
- Analyzes the business requirements of all departments to determine their legislative and administrative needs and identifies opportunities for improvement.
- Directs and implements changes to legislative and administrative systems and processes within departments, and across the organization.
- Provides professional expertise, advice and information to senior staff and Council.
- Develops, analyzes, reviews, and implements administrative support and customer service processes, systems, and controls to ensure smooth, efficient, and effective functional operation.
Education and Experience
- University degree or related academic education, with a master’s level being advantageous.
- Legal or Public Administration post-secondary degree would be advantageous.
- Minimum of five (5) years progressive senior managerial experience in a related field.
- Demonstrated experience working from a critical thought process mindset grounded in transparency and accountability.
- A proven reputation for building and leading strong teams, and empowering staff in the delivery of superior services.
- Exceptional professional relationship building skills to quickly establish credibility and trust to continually improve the experience of the taxpayer and staff.
- Ability to develop and review comprehensive business documents including grant applications, contracts, status reports, policies, procedures, bylaws, project charters, requests for proposal and technology documentation.
- Demonstrated experience with a high degree of collaboration, innovation, and creativity arising from experience as a senior level manager.
- Strong skill in being able to synthesize relevant information to be taken to the Executive Director level for strategic planning and decision making for the section.
- Proven career progression within an administrative or legal services context.
- Proven written and oral communication skills.