Executive Director, Community Services - Rocky View County
Rocky VIew County, Alberta
Executive Director, Community Services
About Rocky View County
Rocky View County is located in the heart of southern Alberta. The County surrounds the City of Calgary on 3-sides in a horseshoe-shape to the west, north and east. Rocky View is approximately three hours south of Alberta's capital city, Edmonton, one hour from the Town of Banff in the Rocky Mountains and three and a half hours north of the United States border in the State of Montana. Rural living is rich and rewarding, yet it is important that new residents understand that rural life in Rocky View County is different from life in the city.
Rocky View County’s rural and urban communities uniquely contribute to a diverse municipality that leads with integrity and intelligently manages growth.
Our mission is to preserve the Rocky View County’s diverse landscape, lifestyle, and economic opportunities by serving our residents and businesses so that they can flourish and thrive.
At Rocky View County, our core values guide our behaviours and decision-making. Our values are:
- We foster a culture of honesty, openness, trust, and respect in all our interactions.
- We cultivate proactive leadership in an environment of constant change by anticipating and delivering intelligently on the needs of our diverse communities.
- We have the courage to take personal responsibility to do the right thing both through our actions and decision-making and we hold each other accountable to do the same.
Under the guidance of the Chief Administrative Officer (CAO), the Executive Director Community Services is responsible for functioning as an arm of the office of the Chief Administrative Officer working within the Executive Leadership Team (ELT) and is responsible for the Community Services Division (CSD) in Rocky View County. The Division has the following departments: Building Services; Planning; Recreation, Parks & Community Support; Business Development; and Economic Development. The Executive Director CSD will work harmoniously with the CAO and Executive Leadership Team to design, develop and implement a corporate business implementation plan for the County in a manner that is both cost and time efficient. The Executive Director is charged with the responsibility for the day-to-day operation of the CSD of oversight, which includes guiding, leading and mentoring staff; ensuring that objectives are met; as well as developing business plans in collaboration with his/her management team.
As the Executive Director CSD, the incumbent guides and directs a management team to provide planning, budgeting, and evaluation of the operations and delivery of services in accordance with appropriate legislation, bylaws, objectives, policies, and programs, effectively and efficiently pursuant to a Corporate Strategic Business Plan, with the highest level of customer service to Rocky View County as the end goal.
The Executive Director CSD is accountable to the CAO or delegate who they report to on a regular basis – quarterly, semi-annually, or annually. As a key member of the Executive Leadership Team (ELT), the Executive Director CSD governs through strategic direction and oversees the administration and operations, provides integration and as needed directs the Municipal Corporation by supporting appropriate options and decisions.
A degree in a related discipline, preferably at the master’s level, along with a minimum ten years diverse experience including senior management level and certified in Local Government Management/Administration. Knowledge of and experience in municipal planning is required. This individual will demonstrate:
- The ability to maintain confidentiality and discretion in all matters.
- The ability to deal effectively in political environments at all levels.
- Excellent leadership skills, and experience in strategic planning, organizational development, and policy development.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, with a collaborative style and the ability to build and maintain effective internal and external working relationships.
- The ability to prioritize and effectively manage time in an atmosphere of tight timelines, frequent interruptions, and changing priorities.
- Extensive experience and knowledge in business and municipal management.
A competitive compensation package will be provided including an attractive base salary and excellent benefits. Further details will be discussed in a personal interview.
Express Your Enthusiasm
Email a cover letter and tailored resume to Allan Nelson or Laura Youngberg at email@example.com indicating the job title in the subject line of the email.
Leaders International Executive Search
View Full Job Description