Early Childhood Educator Lead - Nature Preschool - City of Surrey
City of Surrey
Early Childhood Educator Lead - Nature Preschool
As one of the fastest growing cities in Canada, City of Surrey is a globally recognized leader in building vibrant, sustainable communities through technology and innovation. City of Surrey employees are talented innovators, inspired by meaningful work and the opportunity to drive our city—and their careers—forward. Build a City. Build a Future at the City of Surrey
The City of Surrey provides exciting opportunities and challenges in an active and energetic environment and is looking for an enthusiastic Early Childhood Educator Lead to teach the Nature Preschool program at the Surrey Nature Centre and/or Redwood Park. This position is best suited to creative, self-motivated individuals who enjoys working outdoors in a dynamic, fast-paced environment. The City of Surrey follows a responsive curriculum and is committed to ensuring that every child in our program has a positive and safe experience. This position requires the ability to work outdoors in all weather conditions.
The yearlong Nature Preschool program runs annually in the mornings from September to June – Monday/Wednesday/Friday is the 4- year-old program, and Tuesday/Thursday is the 3-year-old program.
This auxiliary position is based on a predicted 32-hour week (Monday – Friday). Occasional evening shifts may be required – parent orientations, etc.
Union - CUPE Local 402 – Auxiliary.
- Ensure the safety of all children, including but not limited to forest play, hiking, climbing trees, or while near such things as standing water and other terrains.
- Model and teach outdoor skills including healthy risk-taking, self-care/appropriate clothing, leave-no-trace practices, and interacting with local wildlife.
- Provide a creative, enriched, play-based learning environment.
- Be responsible for organizing and maintaining a stimulating environment that builds all areas of child development, including self-esteem, creative problem solving, collaboration, and emergent literacy and numeracy.
- Develop activities that are important to the various stages of child development including art, fine/gross motor skills, risk- taking, and constructive play.
- Attend monthly staff meetings and parent meetings, as needed.
- A valid License to Practice - Early Childhood Education (ECE) and holds an Early Childhood Educator Certificate from an approved early childhood education training institute.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in teaching.
- A current First Aid Certificate and CPR C with AED.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Have basic computer skills.
- Experience teaching in an outdoor setting.
- Knowledge of local plants and animals (an asset).
Applicants under consideration will be required to consent to a Police Information Check/Vulnerable Sector Check. Successful applicants must provide proof of qualifications.
If you are interested in this opportunity, please apply at https://www.surrey.ca/about-surrey/jobs-careers to Job ID 4775.
Closing Date: August 12, 2022