Building Inspector/ Bylaw Officer - District of Vanderhoof
DISTRICT OF VANDERHOOF
Building Inspector/ Bylaw Officer
Vanderhoof is a friendly and welcoming rural community located in the geographical center of British Columbia and is at the “Heart of it All” when it comes to lifestyle, affordable living, and employment opportunities. With a population base of roughly 4,500, and serving a larger area of nearly 10,000, Vanderhoof is an active community with great indoor/outdoor recreation facilities and trails. Vanderhoof is situated along Highway 16 (Yellowhead Highway), and located an hour west of Prince George, BC. Please visit our website at www.vanderhoof.ca for additional information.
Reporting to the Director of Operations, the Building Inspector/ Bylaw Officer is responsible for the operation and activities of the Building Inspection/ Bylaw Enforcement Department. A key focus of the position is the building inspection process, covering a wide range of regulations relating the Building Act, BC Building Code, Local Government Act, Community Charter, and enforcing the Municipal bylaw and regulations. The incumbent, under the authority of the Local Government Act and Community Charter, enforces aspects of the Building Code of Canada, Building Regulations of British Columbia, and District of Vanderhoof Bylaws. The work involves providing advice with respect to the review of compliance with building/bylaw regulations and ensuring that Federal, Provincial, and Municipal regulations are adhered to, and that construction complies with the appropriate structural, fire, and public health requirements.
- Ability to effectively enforce bylaws and regulations.
- Deal effectively and diplomatically with owners, builders, and professionals.
- Efficiently and effectively prepares department and project reports.
- Proven verbal and non-verbal communication skills, maintaining professionalism and discretion when necessary.
- Creative problem-solving and decision-making skills utilizing adaptability and resourcefulness.
- Maintain an effective working relationship with a variety of internal and external contacts.
- Works independently and exercises independence in judgement.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite and Adobe Pro.
- Provide guidance and technical advice to develops, designers, contractors, and the public to ensure that building development proposals comply with regulations so a Building permit can be issued.
- Assist in ensuring that the District’s building approval, legislation, policies, and procedures are regularly updated and revised in accordance with changes in senior government legislation, District of Vanderhoof Council policy, and external economic factors.
- Ensure that building permit applications submitted to the department are processed in an effective, efficient manner within time constraints established by the District of Vanderhoof and ensuring that bylaws are upheld.
- Administer the District’s Building Regulations Bylaws, the British Columbia Building Code, and relevant District of Vanderhoof bylaws in a concise and consistent manner.
- Enforce bylaws where work is being done in contravention of such regulations through the issuance of “Stop Work” orders, revocation of permits, or registration of a Section 57 notice of enforcement Court injunction.
- Provide accurate building/bylaw solutions to ensure that decisions and recommendations are in line with the District of Vanderhoof policies and bylaws.
- Continually updates, consolidates, and documents changes in legislation relative to compliance within the District.
- Assist with the preparation and recommendation of amendments to relevant District bylaws.
- Generate monthly, quarterly, and annual building statistical reports.
- Provide advice and guidance with respect to conformance with building and other development regulations and bylaws.
- Intervene where District Bylaws are in breach.
- A minimum of Level 1 Building and Plumbing BOABC certification will be considered, however preference will be given to candidates with Level 3 BOABC certification.
- Successful completion of Level 1 Justice Institute’s Bylaw Enforcement Program.
- 3 years’ experience in inspection work and/or law enforcement.
- Eligible for membership in the License Inspectors’ and Bylaw Officers’ Association of BC.
- Direct knowledge and experience in people management, strategic planning, court processes/services and proceedings.
- Experience in construction, with the ability to read and interpret building plans is an asset.
- Thorough understand of BC Building Regulations, the Community Charter, and the Local Government Act.
- Possess strong ethical standards, work ethic, and attention to details.
- Valid BC Class 5 driver’s license.
- Clean driver’s abstract.
- Clear criminal record check.
This is a full-time position that offers a competitive wage and attractive benefits package. The rate of pay will be based on the level of certification.
Please submit your application to Human Resources at email@example.com. The following documents must be included:
- Driver’s Abstract
We want to thank all applicants, however only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.