Manager of Traffic Engineering & ITS - City of Surrey
City of Surrey
Manager of Traffic Engineering & ITS
The City of Surrey is one of the fastest growing, culturally diverse cities in Canada. Our collaborative and innovative approach to serving more than 600,000 citizens has made us a globally recognized leader in building vibrant, sustainable communities.
We are proud to be recognized as one of Canada’s Top Employers for Young People for the past 11 years, Canada's Best Diversity Employers for 2019-2022, Canada’s Greenest Employers for 2020-2022, and the only municipality to be named among Canada’s Most Admired Corporate Cultures for 2021. Join a team that is driven by meaningful work that will build a world-class city that enhances the quality of life for our growing population. Build a City, Build a Future at the City of Surrey.
Reporting to the Division Manager of Transportation within the Engineering Department, the Manager of Traffic Engineering & ITS leads the management of a safe, efficient and increasingly complex City transportation system and technologies. This position is responsible for three team leads (Traffic Operations, ITS Signals and Streetlights and Traffic Control), with a team of 25 staff who plan, manage, commission, and maintain 460 traffic signals, over 100,000 overhead and ground mounted traffic signs, pavement markings, 32,000 streetlights, and 6,000 BC Hydro leased lights. This innovative team has established a leading-edge Traffic Management Centre with real time access to signals, cameras and sensors to optimize traffic flow and improve safety.
The Manager of Traffic Engineering & ITS oversees a traffic operations model that reflects the evolution of technology in traffic management as well as a modal shift toward transit, cycling, and walking. This position also plays a lead role in implementing Surrey’s Digital Transportation Strategy, Data Collection and Analytics and in evolving Surrey’s traffic management & ITS practices to the next level.
- Contribute to the City’s goal of best serving its residents, businesses, staff and other stakeholders into the future.
- Lead the implementation of Surrey’s Digital Transportation Strategy and Data Collection and Analytics.
- Effectively articulate the role Traffic Management plays in City services, highlighting future opportunities and overcoming challenges.
- Develop and implement Intelligent Transportation System projects, to enhance safety, reduce delays, enable better route planning and reduce societal costs.
- Lead the operations of the Traffic Management Centre, equipped with over 400 CCTV cameras to enable real-time management of the traffic signal system.
- Oversee all traffic control, street lighting, signage and pavement markings, traffic engineering analysis, traffic signal timing plans and collection and analysis of traffic data.
- Oversee approvals and permits for construction work on roadways, special events use and overweight/oversized vehicles.
- Communicate and maintain an effective working relationship with City stakeholders (internal and external) to optimize resources, develop aligned programs, and support Council initiatives.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering from a recognized university, with a specialty in transportation, and a minimum of 5 years’ experience in a leadership role; or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Currently registered with the Engineers and Geoscientists of B.C., as a P.Eng., and a member in good standing.
- Extensive experience and technical knowledge of traffic engineering, road design standards and guidelines, transportation electrical systems, ITS, road safety, and budgeting.
- Business acumen, including a keen understanding of the issues that municipalities face.
- Demonstrated leadership skills, including within a unionized environment.
- Strong communication, negotiation, and problem-solving skills and an excellent ability to build and maintain strong working relationships.
- Experience working with/in the private sector as part of a relevant field or discipline.
- Experience preparing and presenting corporate reports, communications, and data.
Open Until Filled