Supervisor – Custodial - School District No. 57 (Prince George)
Supervisor – Custodial
Department: Facility Services Department
Reporting to the Director of Facility Services, this position is responsible for the administration and supervision of employees engaged in custodial operations. The Custodial Supervisor takes a leadership role in managing ongoing custodial work to deliver quality standards for cleaning schools and other facilities for students, staff, tenants and the public.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Recruitment and supervision of custodial employees, direct work, establish priorities, and coordinates the custodial operations
- Liaises with school administration to provide advice on cleaning standards and work scheduling, including concerns and complaints
- Assists with the preparation of plans, specifications and other bid documents for the procurement of custodial equipment, supplies and contracts
- Ensures that all work is carried out in a safe and efficient manner and compliant with applicable regulations, policies and practices
- Monitors operating budgets and provides input and assistance in the planning and budgeting process
- Coordinates and directs external service providers
- Assists in the recruitment, performance evaluation and development of custodial employees
- May be required to attend District Health and Safety Committee meetings and other meetings as assigned
- Flexibility to respond to after-hours emergent situations and attend to situations as required;
- Occasionally works outside of traditional office hours to supervise employees and contract service providers
- Reviews employee attendance and performance and, where necessary, takes positive action for improvement, including coordinating gradual return to work plans
- Manages the custodial services procedures manual and equipment inventory
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Considerable knowledge of materials, methods, tools, equipment and practices relevant to custodial operations
- Strong skills in the use of computer software including MS Word, MS Excel
- Demonstrated experience in recruiting, evaluating and directing employees in a unionized environment, including the participation in discipline interviews and investigations
- Ability to effectively and efficiently plan, organize and manage workloads and projects, set priorities, meet deadlines and work under pressure
- Demonstrated skills in negotiating, coaching, team building and dispute resolution
- Proven ability to make decisions in crisis situations using critical thinking skills and analytical problem solving
- Ability travel within the school district outlying facility locations
- Demonstrated ability to communicate both orally and in writing
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain respectful and cooperative working relationships and to communicate effectively with staff, co-workers, and partner groups at all levels.
- Grade 12 High School Diploma, supplemented with applicable post-secondary courses
- Completion of a Building Service Worker Program
- Post-secondary courses in supervisory and management related skills
- Minimum of five years’ experience in custodial operations
- Supervisory experience, preferably in a complex multi-union public sector environment
- Hold and maintain a valid BC Class 5 Driver’s License
- Successful completion of a Criminal Record Review
- Business use of a personal vehicle may be required
About School District 57
School District No. 57 serves approximately 13,000 students in 40 schools in an area that extends from Mackenzie to the north, through Prince George, west to Cluculz Lake, south to Hixon and east to McBride and Valemount to the Alberta Border.
The district employs approximately 1,850 people, making it one of the largest employers outside of the lower mainland of British Columbia.
We are a dynamic and progressive district. Prince George's education system encompasses 32 elementary 8 secondary and the Centre for Learning Alternatives. The district offers choice schools in the area of Montessori, French Immersion and Traditional.
Life in the Central Interior of British Columbia
Known as BC's northern capital, Prince George is a bustling city of over 77,000 residents, situated at the crossroads of Hwy. 97 (north-south) and Hwy. 16 (east-west), and at the confluence of the Fraser and Nechako Rivers. As a major City of the Pacific Rim, Prince George is firmly tied to the global market. The area offers a lifestyle that is definitely worth boasting about. Residents enjoy affordable housing, incomes above provincial averages, an extensive range of quality services, and cultural and sports events. Recreational opportunities are second to none and range from golfing, skiing, fishing and hunting to an endless list of team sports.
Local post secondary educational facilities include the University of Northern British Columbia and the College of New Caledonia.
Posting Closing Date: July 14th at 4:00 pm, PST
All applications with relevant documentation must be made through
Make A Future for consideration for the position.
If you are experiencing difficulties with submitting your application, please contact our HR Assistant, Brittany Simrose at 250-561-6800 ext 812 or email@example.com.
Prepared 15/06/22 BA