Manager of Development Planning - City of Courtenay
City of Courtenay
Manager of Development Planning
The City of Courtenay is situated on the east coast of central Vancouver Island, within the traditional lands of the K'ómoks First Nation. Accessible by land, sea or air, Courtenay is a culturally diverse community that offers supernatural beauty at its doorstep. The City (approximate population 28,000) is the urban and cultural hub of the larger community, the Comox Valley (approximate population 72,000).
The City is governed by a Mayor and six Councillors. The Chief Administrative Officer (CAO) is responsible to Council for managing all City operations. The Development Services Department is one of seven departments reporting to the CAO. Our organization's culture is demonstrated by our Corporate Mission and Core Values.
The successful candidate is responsible for the review of various development application processes (OCP, zoning, permits, etc.); the preparation of planning studies, reports, bylaws, etc.
The incumbent also prepares and monitors budgets and manages a department clerk and a team of professional Planning staff.
The Successful Candidate Will Have:
- Degree in Urban Planning or related discipline.
- Membership, or eligibility for membership, in the Canadian Institute of Planners/Planning Institute of BC
- Valid BC Class 5 Drivers License
- Considerable (7-9 years) experience in the community planning field with management experience and a focus on development approvals.
- Thorough knowledge of the philosophies, principles, and practices of municipal planning, sustainability and design.
- Strong interpersonal, communication, presentation, negotiation, research, problem solving, analytical, and management skills
- Good office computer skills
- Ability to be creative and use sound judgment in making planning decisions
- Ability to prioritize and meet deadlines
- Ability to plan, assign and direct the work of personnel and lead, coach, and motivate staff in a team environment
- Ability to deal effectively with representatives of government, business and development, the general public, City staff and Council members
- Experience in local government planning
- Experience and training in Emergency Management Policies and Procedures
If you have the qualifications along with the passion to help Courtenay be the most livable City in British Columbia, then submit a resume outlining how you meet the qualifications with a covering letter clearly marked “Application – Manager of Development Planning”. Submit your application online at www.courtenay.ca/jobs no later than July 17, 2022.
We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those short listed will be contacted.
Notice Posted: June 21, 2022