Economic Development Officer - Beaver County
Economic Development Officer
THE COMMUNITY: Beaver County is located in central Alberta, just a leisurely drive 30 minutes east of Edmonton. The County starts in the Beaver Hills/Cooking Lake Moraine and extends east for approximately 120 kms.
Home to the Towns of Tofield and Viking, the Villages of Ryley and Holden, and the Hamlets of Bruce and Kinsella – our community offers a quality lifestyle with a unique blend of country and urban living. Beaver County is served by two major transportation routes, Highway 14 and 36, and is home to two business parks and two campgrounds.
A diversified tax base, ranging from acreage development on the west, to mixed farming in the center and east, and oil and gas development in the east, has played an important role in keeping Beaver County a viable community.
Beaver County is served by a progressive Council of five and is well known for their ability to work as a team.
This is an ideal opportunity for an individual looking to advance their career.
THE OPPORTUNITY: Reporting to the Chief Administrative Officer, the Economic Development Officer will be responsible for developing and implementing Beaver County’s Economic Development Plan as well as hiring and overseeing third party resources as required. This person will collaborate with businesses, local and external to the region, key stakeholders including regional associations and other economic development partner organizations, to develop relationships, encourage investment in the Region, and to ensure Beaver County is known as an attractive place for business and industry to grow.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- Post secondary education in the area of economic development or a business administration degree, however, relevant past experience will be considered.
- A minimum of five years in a similar role within a municipal or business environment.
- Demonstrated success in the area of economic development.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ATTRIBUTES:
The Economic Development Officer will have a progressive record demonstrating positive relationships with key stakeholders in the area of economic development. He/she will be equally comfortable as a senior manager or as a team participant. Among other attributes, the following will be important:
- Leadership Skills – Demonstrates a visionary leadership style while giving guidance and support.
- Strategic & Business Planning – Participates in all corporate strategic and business planning from an economic development viewpoint.
- Communication – An open, honest and straightforward style with all audiences. Demonstrates candor and respect. Communicates in a clear and concise manner both verbally and in formal presentations. Keeps CAO informed at all times. Must have an outgoing personality, be ambitious and be a champion/marketer for Beaver County.
- Interpersonal Skills – Able to effectively build relationships with a wide range of stakeholders. Has a positive outlook and a sense of humour. Is diplomatic and emotionally mature and possesses well-developed negotiation skills.
- Integrity & Trust – Possesses impeccable integrity and ethics. Respectful of others and respected by peers. Is honest, sincere, dependable, authentic, and trustworthy. Committed to County’s values, vision and mission and acts as a role model.
- Management Skills – Demonstrates a progressive management style.
- Relationships – Builds a relationship with all current businesses located within Beaver County and regional partners.
- A Professional – Acts as an integral part of the leadership team and displays high ethical standards.
- Long Term Planning – Work with the CAO and Council to develop and implement an Economic Development Plan for Beaver County. This will include the development of a comprehensive inventory of existing businesses as well as identifying growth opportunities.
- Politically Astute – Knows and understands legislative and regulatory processes and has an intuitive ability to read the political implications of recommendations and actions.
A competitive compensation package will be provided including an attractive base salary and excellent benefits. Further details will be discussed at the appropriate time.
FOR INFORMATION PLEASE CONTACT:
Douglas B. Lagore, CLGM
The closing date for this competition is July 15th, 2022. Please be advised that only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please forward resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org