Manager of Financial Reporting and Analytics - School District no. 33 (Chilliwack)
School District No. 33 (Chilliwack)
Manager of Financial Reporting and Analytics
The Chilliwack School District is seeking applications for the excluded position of Manager of Financial Reporting and Analytics. Reporting to the Assistant Secretary Treasurer, the successful individual is responsible for providing budget information, financial analysis, forecasts, and financial reporting as required by senior management, the Board of Education, government agencies, or other key stakeholders.
THE COMMUNITY AND SCHOOL DISTRICT
Chilliwack is a thriving and growing community situated in the beautiful Upper Fraser Valley, just 90 minutes from Vancouver on the Stó:lò unceded traditional territory of the Pilalt, Sema:th, and Ts’elxwéyeqw tribes. The school district is well known for its dedication to quality educational programs, its effective collaboration with community, parents, students, and employee groups and its fiscal responsibility. The District has approximately 14,000 students with approximately 2000 teaching, administrative, managerial, and support staff.
Reporting to the Assistant Secretary Treasurer, you will be involved with budget preparation and administration, financial reporting and analysis, and a variety of other duties.
- Provide support to the Assistant Secretary Treasurer in the preparation of the District’s annual budget and other financial reports required by Senior Management and the Board.
- Assist the District Executive Team in putting forward a budget proposal to the Board of Trustees by providing relevant data and analysis for decision making.
- Coordinate and consolidate all budget submissions from various managers and partner groups.
- Verify costing of new initiatives and on-going cost pressures.
- Review budgets and expenditures of departments and schools to ensure that the individual budgets are compliant with the overall district budget and is being reported in a manner consistent with the internal and external requirements.
- Maintain the budget within the system and ensure that department managers have access to their reports.
- Provide budget training to District staff as required.
- Perform detailed analytics on all Salary and Benefits budgets on a monthly basis for accuracy including analysis and investigation of variances.
- Work with Human Resources to ensure staffing levels are maintained and aligned with the District’s budget.
- Calculate and update standard employee costs for use in budget projections, new program costing, etc.
- Assist with the preparation of budgets and reports on various Special Purpose Funds.
Financial Reporting and Analysis
- Assist in composing the Quarterly and Year End Financial Reports for the Board providing updates on financial performance against budget and projection for the year.
- Provide variance analysis reports with corresponding explanations.
- Manage the quarterly GRE reporting process.
- Prepare and submit other Ministry prescribed budget information as required.
- Reconcile the confirmed Ministry grant funding with the 1701 Enrolment Data Collection Report.
- Prepare ad hoc reports and reconciliations for various departments.
- Participate in the preparation of year-end audit working papers and assist with the audit as needed
- Work collaboratively with the other Finance Management team members.
- Provide general support as required to District Executive Team, administrators, managers, and clerical staff regarding budgeting matters.
- Work directly with Finance and IT team members to develop systems to drive new reporting tools.
- Develop and improve financial policies and procedures.
- Provide backup to the Manager of Finance during workload surge and absences.
- Assist the Secretary Treasurer and Assistant Secretary Treasurer as required.
- Liaise with the Ministry of Education and other school districts as required.
- Participate in district level committees as required.
The successful applicant will possess:
- A professional accounting designation CPA (CA, CGA or CMA).
- A minimum of 5 years’ related work experience – preferably in the public sector, a unionized environment and/or a similarly complex organization.
- Demonstrated proficiency in contemporary budgeting, forecasting techniques and modeling is fundamental.
- Previous experience in a BC school district and/or knowledge of PowerSchool ERP Atrieve is an asset.
- Demonstrated ability and experience in interacting with all levels of management.
- Advanced skills in developing database driven queries and building complex financial reporting tools, including dynamic reports and dashboards using Excel and Power BI.
- Analytical thinker, flexible problem solver with ability to manage several important priorities simultaneously.
- Strong knowledge of finance and accounting automated systems.
- Highly motivated to drive change and deliver results.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with strong presentation, communication, and interpersonal skills across all functions and levels of management.
Interested candidates must submit their application complete with resume, documentation supporting credentials and three professional references with permission to contact each in confidence. Application packages must be received by 4:00 pm PST, July 8, 2022. Interested applicants must apply electronically through www.makeafuture.ca/chilliwack or https://bit.ly/37LhM7c to: Donna Dove, Human Resources Executive Assistant, School District No. 33 (Chilliwack), 8430 Cessna Drive, Chilliwack, B.C. V2P 7K4, Phone: 604-792-1321