Communications Coordinator - Regional District of Kitimat-Stikine
Come for the Outdoor Adventure and Stay for the Job
The Regional District of Kitimat-Stikine is pleased to announce they are searching for a permanent full-time Communications Coordinator to join their dedicated team. This position offers a competitive salary and a full range of benefits.
If awe-inspiring, natural scenery and breathtaking views is what you crave, then The Regional District of Kitimat-Stikine (RDKS) is your place. This area is renowned for its world-class fishing and outdoor adventure opportunities, including a ski hill, sledding, skating, heli-skiing, an 18-hole golf course, hiking, and mountain biking trails. The area offers quality advanced education opportunities with both the Coast Mountain College and a University of Northern BC satellite campus. There is also a well-developed arts and cultural community, recreation facilities and library. Terrace, where the role is located, is the regional retail and service hub for the northwestern portion of British Columbia. The opportunity for adventure is endless in any season. The Kitimat-Stikine region is the traditional homeland of the Tahltan, Nisga’a, Gitxsan, Wet’suwet’en, Tsimshian, and Haisla Nations. Spanning a geographic area of 110,000km² the RDKS is home to almost 40,000 people and includes the five incorporated municipalities of Terrace, Kitimat, Stewart, New Hazelton and the Village of Hazelton.
Reporting to the Director of Administration, the Communications Coordinator is responsible for providing planning, coordination and delivery of internal and external communication and public education programs for the RDKS. This position manages the communications strategy aimed at advancing the RDKS’s positive image through media relations, online communications, community engagement initiatives and promotional opportunities.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- In collaboration with Department Heads or designated staff, continue improvement of the RDKS’s multi-media tools including development and updating web content and site sections, meeting information, and engagement objectives on the RDKS website and websites the RDKS oversees, social media pages and media tools to support the delivery of RDKS initiatives.
- Assist with the advertising and public posting of tenders, requests for proposals and quotes.
- Assisting with communications in the Regional Emergency Operations Centre.
- Through the Director of Administration, develops policies and procedures, as well as provide guidance regarding existing policies and procedures related to RDKS communications and public engagement.
- Providing support as needed for events such as openings, workshops, open houses and outreach coordination, including formatting letters and new releases, research, bookings, logistics, and scheduling.
- To facilitate accurate and timely communication of information on RDKS issues to outside stakeholders.
- To prepare or assist with the preparation of all media releases.
- To function as the first point of contact for all RDKS media inquiries working with Department Heads, CAO, and the Board for appropriate response.
- To scan current news sources and track issues to ensure staff and Board are informed and adequately advised on relevant issues as they develop.
- Create, Coordinate and execute social media campaigns and complete performance planning and review processes including analysis of social media campaigns and website usage, gathering feedback and developing strategic metrics to assess the effectiveness and efficiency of programs.
- To liaise with a variety of external contacts, including the public, business and industry, community groups, external government organizations, and the media.
- To prepare background material, speeches, and briefing notes for key staff and Board, as required.
- To identify, track and analyse potential inquiries that may develop as a result of RDKS policies, programs or Board decisions and coordinate effective responses.
- To develop and provide guidance for various departments on ad design, video production, photography/image development, web pages, posters, pamphlets, brochures & informational materials, newsletters, marketing materials, promoting community engagement, etc.
- To carry out additional and related tasks and functions as assigned by the Director of Administration or the Chief Administrative Officer.
Working with others:
The Communications Coordinator is required to build and maintain a variety of collaborative working relationships with all departments of the RDKS, and throughout the region with other local governments, first nations, elected officials, stakeholders, community groups, media, as well as with provincial and federal government.
Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to work independently and shift priorities as necessary to meet deadlines.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Skill and proficiency in the operation of personal computers and software, Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite including InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Acrobat, Canva and website software applications.
- Extensive knowledge of public engagement strategies, techniques and approaches.
- Proven track record of delivering excellent customer service.
Specific Training and Experience:
Completion of Grade 12 and a technical diploma or college or university degree in communications, public relations or other communications related field and a minimum 2 years of communications experience, preferably in a local government environment.
An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
Authorize the expenditures of funds as approved in the budget, up to established limits as approved in accordance with the Regional District’s resolutions and policy directives.
The duties of the Communications Coordinator are largely performed in an office environment. From time to time the Communications Coordinator may be required to travel and be away from home to assist with stakeholder engagement or other communication related matters.
Physical, Mental and Visual Demands
Comfortable, few exceptional demands - 75% Intense visual/listening concentration – 25%
Valid BC Driver’s License
Please submit your cover letter, resume and references by mail or email to the Regional District of Kitimat-Stikine by 9:00 a.m. on Monday, July 18, 2022. We appreciate your interest when applying and advise that only candidates under active consideration will be contacted.
Director of Administration/Human Resources
Regional District Kitimat – Stikine
Suite 300 – 4545 Lazelle Avenue
Terrace, B.C. V8G 4E1