Plumbing Inspector I - City of Vancouver
Plumbing Inspector IRequisition ID: 35374
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) Peoples, Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada's Top 100 Employers, BC's Top Employers, and Canada's Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
The Cross Connection Control Specialist performs complex technical, inspectional and regulatory work inspecting plumbing installations in relation to cross connection control and backflow prevention, and ensures compliance with the Vancouver Building By-law and Waterworks By-law and Standards.
Key Contacts and Reporting Relationships
The position reports to the Supervisor, Water Quality Program (Trades Inspector II).
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Inspects plumbing installations and reviews by-law infractions with owners, contractors and installers and discusses the corrections required
- Conducts re-inspections and follows-up on outstanding work and/or violations
- Maintains accurate inspection records
- Prepares concise inspection reports
- Performs other duties/responsibilities as required
Education and Experience:
- Completion of Grade 12 and apprenticeship in plumbing. Considerable experience as a journeyman plumber supplemented by some experience as a foreman, superintendent or contractor, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Registration as a Journeyman plumber with the Province of BC
- Must be a current BCWWA certified backflow assembly tester, or be able to recertify as a BCWWA certified backflow assembly tester within 90 days from hire date
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of practical plumbing.
- Considerable knowledge of the City Plumbing By-law.
- Considerable knowledge of approved plumbing materials.
- Working knowledge of the relevant sections of the N.F.P.A. regulations for sprinklers.
- Working knowledge of related by-laws affecting the construction and alteration or repair of buildings.
- Some knowledge of material and labour costs.
- Ability to meet with contractors, developers, tradesmen, owners and or their representatives to discuss problems and to enforce by-law requirements with firmness, impartiality and good judgement.
- Ability to recognize and evaluate complex plumbing and mechanical systems as they relate to cross connection control and backflow prevention requirements.
- Ability to communicate clearly, orally and in writing, and able to prepare reports.
- Ability to work independently in the field and to make on-site evaluations and decisions.
- Proven skills managing multiple tasks, deadlines, and establishing effective working relationships.
- Ability to walk long distances, climb ladders or steps and do work outside in all types of weather.
Driver’s License and Record Checks:
- A current and valid Class 5 BC Driver’s License with or higher and a Satisfactory driving record
- A Police Record Check is a requirement of this position. A clearance requires the absence of any criminal charges or convictions related to this position.
The City of Vancouver has a COVID-19 Mandatory Vaccination Policy. All external applicants applying to the City of Vancouver are required to be fully vaccinated as a condition of hire and subject to this policy as a condition of ongoing employment. Candidates may only be exempted from this requirement if they request and are approved for an accommodation based on a reason related to a Human Rights Code ground (such as disability). Such a request must be made during, not after, the recruitment process.
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services (1300)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: July, 2022
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-025: $43.82 to $47.57 per hour
Application Close: July 3, 2022
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Before you click Apply now
Once you start your application you can save your work and leave the applications page, however please remember to submit your profile to the specific job requisition before the posting closing date.
In addition to uploading your cover letter and resume, part of the application process may include answering application questions related to the preferred requirements of the role which may take approx.. 5-10mins. Cover letters should express interest and highlight additional information relevant to the position and resumes should include a tailored summary of skills and experience related to the position.