Utility Maintenance Worker I (Outdoor Pools) - City of Vancouver
Utility Maintenance Worker I (Outdoor Pools)Requisition ID: 35571
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh), Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada's Top 100 Employers, BC's Top Employers, and Canada's Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The Utility Maintenance Worker prepares and operates outdoor pools, water features, and water parks and performs routine to skilled maintenance, repair and cleaning of Vancouver's pools and community/recreation facilities.
- Responsible for a variety of functions related to the operation and service of swimming pools, pool chemical controllers, pumps, filtration and related equipment.
- Performs and coordinates routine janitorial functions including cleaning change rooms and washrooms; washing & waxing floors, replenishing supplies, collecting and transferring refuse.
- Performs minor maintenance tasks including lubricating, cleaning, and painting stationary equipment found in various facilities.
- Maintains building standards and monitor building security and safety.
- Assists a Maintenance Technician in the maintenance of mechanical equipment related to swimming pools, water features, water parks, HVAC, or other related mechanical equipment.
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned
Education and Experience:
- Completion of a recognized certification program in building services work and some related experience
- Pool Operator Level I and II
- Applicants must attach a copy of the required certifications to their application
- Working knowledge of water filtration equipment and disinfection systems
- Working knowledge of the materials, methods and equipment used in janitorial and building maintenance work
- Ability to deal courteously and effectively with the public groups and users of the facility to ensure observance of the rules and regulations
- Ability to observe equipment in operation and report on any malfunctions
- Ability to operate water filtration equipment and any other tools or equipment associated with the work ( Pool Vacuums, Blowers )
- Good health and strength sufficient to perform a variety of manual tasks in janitorial and building maintenance work
- Above average manual dexterity and mechanical aptitude
- Observes stationary equipment and related controls, logs gauge readings, and reports malfunctions to the superior
- Ability to lift items up to 22.5 kg
- A valid Class 5 driver's license and clean drivers abstract is preferred. The license must not include any restrictions that would affect the ability to legally and safely carry out job responsibilities. Transportation arrangements must meet the operation requirements of the position.
Business Unit/Department: Real Estate & Facilities Management (1100)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Parks
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: April 4, 2022
Position End Date: September 5, 2022
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-014: $25.86 to $30.29 per hour
Application Close: Open until filled
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process.Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
To be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity with a generous benefits package, please apply on our careers site.