Trades I - Carpenter (Fleet and Manufacturing Services) - City of Vancouver
Trades I - Carpenter (Fleet and Manufacturing Services)Requisition ID: 31603
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) Peoples, Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada's Top 100 Employers, BC's Top Employers, and Canada's Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
Fleet and Manufacturing Services supports the City of Vancouver in being a service provider in all aspects of Fleet Management. The expertise and knowledge provided to internal and sometimes external clients by the Fleet and Manufacturing Services team includes: Engineering, Vehicle Procurement, Heavy Duty, Commercial and Automotive Maintenance and Repair, Quick Service Repairs, Machining, Mill Work, Fabrication, Vehicle Outfitting, Carpentry, Body Shop Vehicle Repair and Painting, Product Inventory/Ordering, and Small Equipment Repair.
The regular work schedule is from 3:10 PM to 12:34 AM, Monday to Friday. The successful candidate may be required to adjust shifts and locations as operationally required.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Assists in the construction and repair of tool wagons, small structures, cabinets, cupboards, sewer channel forms, barricades and related articles.
- Sharpens planer and joiner blades and assists in setting and sharpening saws.
- Repairs and constructs valve and meter boxes, tool boxes, chains, doors, sand boxes, ladders, signs and other articles used in public works and parks operations.
- Performs carpentry and maintenance work on City buildings and structures.
- Performs related work as required.
Education and Experience:
- Completion of Grade Ten preferably supplemented by technical courses related to the work.
- Considerable experience in carpentry, preferably as a Trades Helper.
- Considerable knowledge of the standard practices, methods, materials, tools and equipment used in carpentry.
- Good working knowledge of the hazards and proper safety precautions of the carpentry trade.
- Ability to understand and to carry out effectively oral and written instructions accompanied by sketches and blueprints.
- Ability to sharpen planer and joiner blades and assist in setting and sharpening saws.
- Skill in the use and care of hand and bench tools and related equipment essential to the trade.
- Agility, muscular coordination and sufficient strength to permit the performance of heavy manual labour.
- A current and valid Class 5 BC Driver’s License or higher and a Satisfactory National Safety Code driving record
- A current and valid Class 1 or 3 BC Driver’s License with Air Brakes is considered an asset
- 5 years accumulation of no more than 9 points, not in excess of 3 points per single year
- 3 years accumulation of no more than 1 preventable work related driving or equipment operating accident in any single year
- Employees who do not demonstrate a satisfactory driving record will have their application reviewed in more detail
- Candidates must attach the following to be considered:
- Commercial Driving Records Abstract (N Print) for the past 5 years (no more than 14 days prior to this posting)
- Insurance and Claims History for the past 5 years (no more than 14 days prior to this posting)
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services (1300)
Affiliation: CUPE 1004 N/Pks
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: July, 2022
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-360: $36.80 per hour
Application Close: May 26, 2022
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process.Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.