Coordinator, Human Resources - City of Whitehorse
Coordinator, Human Resources - 1532
Status of Position
Permanent Full Time
Job posting closes: May 15, 2022 at 5:00 pm (Yukon Standard Time)
An Eligibility List may be established from this competition – the duration of the eligibility list may be up to 12 months. The eligibility list may be used to fill future permanent full-time, permanent part-time, temporary full-time, temporary part- time, term or casual vacancies within the same department and classification based on the organizational needs by going to the next highest ranked candidate until the eligibility list expires.
The City wishes to thank all applicants for their interest but only those candidates selected to advance in the recruitment will be contacted. Note that only those candidates eligible to legally work in Canada will be considered.
Coordinator, Human Resources
Department: Human Resources Job Summary:
The incumbent provides key day-to-day front-line human resources administrative and technical support functions including employee relations, recruitment, relocation, orientation, retirement, compensation, benefits and group retirement plan.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide front-line administrative and technical support regarding HR issues (employee relations, recruitment, compensation, RRSP and benefit activities) including:
- Preparing, maintaining and processing employee documentation (hire letters, benefit applications, RRSP documents, pay changes, etc.);
- Interpreting relevant policies, compensation, benefit and collective agreements;
- Coordinating and booking travel and relocation arrangements;
- Authorizing and processing expenditures; and
- Supporting the Job Evaluation program.
- Participate and support recruitment and selection activities including:
- Providing input into staffing and recruitment logistics;
- Overseeing, maintaining and processing recruitment documentation;
- Scheduling interviews and candidate travel;
- Liaising with candidates;
- Assisting with short-listed suitable candidates;
- Conducting reference checks; and
- Coordinating new hires’ first day orientation.
- Administer the disability programs (short-term, long-term and WCB) including facilitating return to work and accommodation. Support staff in completing and processing disability documents in a timely and accurate manner.
- Liaise with staff, supervisors, benefit carriers and the general public regarding HR issues.
- Prepare and maintain confidential employee records in electronic manual and bring forward systems (new hires, terminations, staffing, salary changes, etc.)
- Research and compile statistics and prepare reports including data for the use in collective bargaining, seniority lists, pay increase dates, etc.
- Research and coordinate relevant training programs, events and workshops including employee recognition and long service awards.
- Provide input into relevant bylaws, policies, and procedures.
- Follow, so far as is reasonably practicable, established safety procedures and standards.
- Other related duties.
This position contains elements necessary for identification and evaluation of the job. The incumbent may be required to perform other related duties.
Majority of the work is performed under normal office conditions.
Required Knowledge, Skill and Abilities:
- Diploma in Human Resources or Business Administration including compensation and benefit administration. Enrollment in CHRP designation is an asset.
- 3 years related experience in a computerized HR environment dealing with employment contracts and 6 months on the job training.
- Knowledge of recruitment and selection practices, employee relations.
- Knowledge of relevant legislation and collective agreements.
- Claims management experience is an asset.
- Ability to work and maintain accuracy under pressure and to meet critical deadlines.
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment with little supervision.
- Strong client service orientation and good interpersonal skills.
- Knowledge of Windows based computer software applications.
- Good organizational skills.
An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be considered.
Examples of Equipment to Operate:
General office equipment including computer skills to operate software programs related to intranets, spreadsheets, word processing, electronic mail, etc.
COVID-19 Note: The City of Whitehorse recently lifted requirements for all new hires to be fully vaccinated from Covid-19 before their start date. The Covid-19 situation continues to evolve and the previous vaccination requirements for all current City employees and new hires may be re-instated, should the prevailing status change. The City of Whitehorse continues to follow the direction and recommendations from Yukon's Chief Medical Officer of Health (CMOH) and public health authorities.
Job seekers are required to create an online profile and submit their application electronically through the City's online Applicant system via www.whitehorse.ca/careers. Instructions on applications are provided at https://www.whitehorse.ca/departments/human-resources/how-to-apply. If you have any further questions regarding this posting, please contact the recruiter at HR@whitehorse.ca.
To apply for this position, you are required to submit your resume.
Various tests and/or exams may be administered as part of the recruiting process.
At the time this posting closes, candidates must have valid and current licenses/certifications/education that match the position requirements. Candidates who are selected to continue with the recruiting process will be required to provide proof of qualifications during their interview.
Management and Confidential Exclusion Bylaw
$33.75 - $39.69
Hours Per Week
5 X 7 Hours
Guaranteed Minimum Hours
Start Date of Position
Number of Hires Needed