Horticulture Labourer - City of New Westminster
DEPARTMENT: Parks and Recreation S
NO. OF POSITIONS: Two
UNION: CUPE, Local 387
HOURS OF WORK:
SALARY: $29.38 per hour (2021 rates) plus 12% in lieu of all benefits
The Parks and Recreation Department has an immediate opportunity for skilled, self-motivated individuals who have a passion for horticulture and arboriculture. As a Labourer, your duties will include planting and maintaining perennials and annuals; cutting and maintaining lawns and grounds; assisting the Arboriculture team in planting, cultivating, pruning shrubs, trees and removing trees; assisting in the construction, renovation and maintenance of various landscaped and horticultural areas, and watering duties with a large water truck, including watering hanging baskets and City trees; and assisting crews in the maintenance of various landscaped and horticultural areas when required.
If you have the following characteristics and qualifications, we want to hear from you:
- Completion of Grade 12 (or equivalent), supplemented by related experience in horticulture.
- The completion of a diploma in horticulture would be an asset.
- Skill in the use and care of tools and equipment used in the work.
- Knowledge of the methods, materials, tools and equipment used in the work.
- Ability to follow the safety precautions required in the work.
- Ability to effectively perform tasks with minimal supervision.
- Ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with crew members and other City departments.
- Ability to demonstrate and provide exceptional customer service skills.
- Ability to perform manual/physical labour and to work in all weather conditions.
- Valid Class 5 BC Driver’s License and clean driver’s abstract.
- Must be able to pass and maintain a clear Police Information Check.
- Available to work a flexible work schedule as required.
*Up 40 hours per week, including days, weekends and statutory holidays.
Apply by sending your cover letter and resume in one document quoting the competition number, by January 26, 2022 to the Human Resources Department, City of New Westminster, 511 Royal Avenue, New Westminster, BC, V3L 1H9, e- mail email@example.com using the following format in the subject line: LAST NAME First Name #22-11
To support a workforce that reflects the diversity of our community; women, Indigenous Peoples, racialized individuals, persons of diverse sexual orientation, gender identity or expression (LGBTQ2S+), persons with disabilities, and others who may contribute to diversity of our
workforce, are encouraged to express their interest.
New Westminster is on the unceded and unsurrendered land of the Halq'eméylem-speaking peoples. ` It is acknowledged by the City that colonialism has made invisible their histories and connections to the land. We are learning and building relationships with the
people whose lands we are on.
We thank all applicants for their interest and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted. This position is only open to
those legally entitled to work in Canada.