Superintendent, Streets - City of New Westminster
DEPARTMENT: Engineering Operations
STATUS: Full Time
NO. OF POSITIONS: One
HOURS OF WORK: 40 hours per week
SALARY: $102,580 - $113,185 annually
Reporting to the Manager, Engineering Operations, the Superintendent, Streets will supervise and coordinate the daily operations related to services provided by Streets department which includes sidewalks, roads, signage, street sweeping and snow removal. Duties include:
- Managing the daily operation of Streets.
- Continually improving operational efficiency, as well as developing and maintaining procedures pertaining to the day-to-day operations.
- Overseeing contractor and developer work in improving or replacing City owned assets.
- Supervising a team of staff, including training, coaching, assigning work and maintaining work flow, reviewing staffing levels, scheduling and timekeeping, performance management and employee development.
- Investigating and responding to internal and external requests for information, compliance, service issues, disputes and concerns.
- Administrative duties including report preparation, accounts payable and financial processes related to the areas of accountability, purchasing of equipment and supplies, and building maintenance and repair.
- Liaising with a variety of City departments and external agencies.
If you have the following characteristics and qualifications, we want to hear from you:
- Completion of a certificate or diploma in related discipline, supplemented by considerable supervisory experience. An equivalent combination of education and experience, as acceptable to the employer, may be considered.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in business acumen, management and leadership.
- Thorough knowledge of the regulations, policies, bylaws, procedures relating to the relevant working groups and assets.
- Considerable knowledge of municipal administration and procedures.
- Knowledge of the concepts, practices and techniques of snow removal.
- Knowledge of the methods and equipment used in the replacement of roads and sidewalks.
- Knowledge of sign shop operations, of sign fabrication and installation requirements.
- Planning and organizational skills to effectively coordinate the provision of a wide range of services and strategic projects.
- Training and demonstrated experience in people leadership and management.
- Strong conflict resolution skills and the ability to deal tactfully and efficiently with various stakeholders.
- Demonstrated interpersonal and communication skills to maintain effective working relationships with other City staff.
- Effective problem solving and decision making skills to determine supportive and responsive resource allocation options.
- Proficiency in computer applications such as Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel), Tempest and JD Edwards.
Apply by sending your cover letter and resume in one document quoting the competition number, by January 28, 2022 to the Human Resources Department, City of New Westminster, 511 Royal Avenue, New Westminster, BC, V3L 1H9, e-mail to email@example.com using the following format in the subject line: LAST NAME First Name #22-06.
To support a workforce that reflects the diversity of our community; women, Indigenous Peoples, racialized individuals, persons of diverse sexual orientation, gender identity or expression (LGBTQ2S+), persons with disabilities, and others who may contribute to diversity of our workforce, are encouraged to express their interest.
New Westminster is on the unceded and unsurrendered land of the Halq'eméylem-speaking peoples.
It is acknowledged by the City that colonialism has made invisible their histories and connections to the land.
We are learning and building relationships with the people whose lands we are on.
We thank all applicants for their interest and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
This position is only open to those legally entitled to work in Canada.