Urban Forestry Coordinator - City of Delta
One of the sunniest regions in BC's Lower Mainland, Delta embraces three unique communities - Ladner, North Delta and Tsawwassen. The City of Delta is looking for dedicated individuals to join our team and share in our commitment to lead the way in public service excellence.
Urban Forestry Coordinator
City of Delta is looking for an Urban Forestry Coordinator to join our Engineering Operations team on a full time basis. This position involves moderately complex technical field work and public relations work related to urban forestry policies, practices and procedures. The incumbent inspects trees on city property, identifies hazards and problems, determines appropriate arboricultural treatment and recommends same to supervisor; occasionally performs skilled arboricultural work involving pruning, maintenance, planting and removal of trees; deals with the public regarding complaints or inquiries relating to tree matters; provides information and assistance to internal and external contacts regarding municipal tree matters; and, prepares a variety of reports regarding tree related work. Work is performed under limited supervision and the incumbent exercises considerable independence of judgement and action in technical areas of work. Unusual matters or more complex problems are referred to a supervisor who reviews work performance in terms of effectiveness of service rendered and conformance with established policies.
Examples of Work:
- Develops and recommends tree retention, replacement and removal plans, policies and procedures; liaises with Planning and Engineering Departments on preparation and review of guidelines pertaining to issuance of development permits and design of new subdivisions.
- Prepares and maintains tree inventory, preventative maintenance records, and tree management practices and standards; prepares reports and recommendations on technical matters related to policy and by-law development.
- Responds to public complaints and enquiries on tree issues and attempts to resolve conflicts within defined policies; plans and conducts public information meetings and prepares information packages on issues of public concern.
- Provides technical advice and policy interpretation to a variety of internal and external contacts on arboricultural matters; liaises extensively with other departments to ensure cooperation and coordination on municipal tree policies and issues.
- Coordinates tree planting projects; determines appropriate trees and configuration for selected sites; orders required trees and oversees installation; oversees day to day operation of a small tree nursery.
- Identifies diseased, over-mature and problem trees and prescribes appropriate treatment; coordinates emergency tree work due to storms or accidents; performs skilled arboricultural tasks as required.
- Directs the work of one or more staff engaged in arboricultural activities; oversees work projects carried out by contracted or municipal crews; coordinates and oversees the work of tree care contractors; conducts staff training on safe work practices and use of arboricultural equipment.
- Prepares reports, guidelines, memoranda and correspondence related to the work and maintains files and records; administers program budget.
- Performs related work as required.
Required Licences, Certificates and Registrations
- Valid Class 5 Driver’s Licence for British Columbia,
- University graduation in Forestry or Urban Forestry or equivalent level of training & experience
- Certification as an Arborist with International Society of Arboriculture,
- Completion of Trimmer/Climber course,
- Certification as a Certified Tree Risk Assessor (TRAQ)
The City of Delta provides a competitive salary of $41.27 per hour and an excellent benefits package including Municipal Pension Plan as well as an earned-days-off system. Interested applicants are requested to apply online at www.delta.ca/employment, to competition #22-36 EX by January 30, 2022
Protecting the health and safety of our community and employees remains our number one priority. The City of Delta is committed to taking every precaution reasonable in the circumstances to protect the health and safety of workers from the hazard of COVID-19. The City has implemented a vaccination policy for all employees.
All new employees with the City of Delta are required to provide proof of vaccination from COVID-19, as a condition of employment. The City of Delta will evaluate and accommodate employees who are unable to be vaccinated against COVID-19 either through medical or human rights exemptions.
We thank all applicants for their interest; only those under consideration will be contacted.
Copies of relevant professional certificates, degrees, or tickets must be submitted with your application. Preferred candidates will be required to submit a Police Information Check.