Communications Coordinator - City of Dawson
The City of DawsonBox 308 Dawson City, YT Y0B 1G0
PH: 867-993-7400 FAX: 867-993-7434
Dawson City, Yukon, population: 2300, is the home of the Klondike Gold Rush and the heart of Tr’ondëk Hwëch’in Traditional Territory; we’re proud of our mining heritage and First Nations roots that run millennia deep. We’re a thriving cultural community—with a post-secondary arts school, several world-renowned festivals, and burgeoning TV and film industry—that borders an outdoor playground sprawling hundreds of kilometres in either direction. We’re a living historic community, with many landscape features and buildings that support our national historic site designation.
Mining, tourism, culture, and our people are the foundation on which our town stands, and we respect personal freedoms and diversity of all definitions. We’re a welcoming town and a great place to make a life and raise a family. Our community has a hospital and programming and activities that promote healthy lifestyles. We have a recreation centre, curling club, swimming pool, fitness centre, nine-hole golf course, off-leash dog park, and a ski hill. We enjoy an abundance of green spaces, including hiking, biking, and cross-country-ski trails. We also have a K–12 school, Yukon University campus, healthy business community, and numerous groups and organizations in which to get involved.
Under the direction and guidance of the Chief Administrative Officer (CAO), this non-union position is responsible for providing senior level communications, branding and public relations administrative support to City departments. This position is also responsible for coordination and communication with IT services. The successful candidate should have passion for and knowledge of communication principles and practices, and the ability to step into a newly created role.
If this position interests you, please submit your resume and cover letter clearly demonstrating the qualifications outlined below, as selection for further consideration will be based solely on the information you provide.
- Post-secondary education in Communications, Public Relations, Public or Business Administration, or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Minimum 2-years experience in a communications role, ideally within a municipal or government environment
- Exceptional writing, editing, proofreading skills with the ability to adapt writing style to target audiences
- Effective presentation skills with the ability to facilitate group meetings/discussions
- Proficiency in web content management, design software and digital engagement tools
- High level of proficiency with MS Office and related office software
- Strong knowledge of office administration practices and principles used in a municipal or government setting
- Excellent organizational and time management skills, and research and analysis skills
- Strong decision making and proactive approach to problem solving
- Demonstrated ability to act with tact and discretion in managing highly confidential, sensitive or political matters
Applicants able to demonstrate an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered. A job description is available upon request.
A current resume and cover letter must be received at the City of Dawson Administration Building by 2:00 pm on Thursday, January 27, 2022. Applications to this position may be submitted by mail or email to the following:
Kim McMynn, CFO
PO Box 308
Dawson City, Yukon Y0B 1G0
Salary & Benefits:
Non-Union management position
Salary range of $63,089 - $75,568 plus benefits, in accordance with the Management Employment Bylaw.
The City of Dawson thanks all applicants for their interest. Only those applicants who qualify for an interview will be contacted.
To learn more about our community and what we have to offer please visit our website at www.cityofdawson.ca