Kennel Attendant - City of Vancouver
Kennel AttendantRequisition ID: 34935
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh), Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada's Top 100 Employers, BC's Top Employers, and Canada's Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
This is a manual and animal care work performed at the City’s Animal Shelter. The incumbent feeds, handles and cares for all impounded animals as well as liaises with the supervisor to ensure best practices are met. The incumbent will report to the Supervisor of Canine Services. Employees of Animal Services operate under non-standard hours of work with established hours of 7:00am – 10:00pm. The incumbent will bring an unrestricted availability to work within the non-standard hours of operation.
- Maintains a close watch on animal behaviour and health, notes and reports injuries and signs of illness
- Provides ongoing intake and welfare checks of animals in the shelter within scope of training, experience and departmental policy
- Assists veterinarians with medical procedures such as administering prescribed medication, performing basic vaccinations, implanting micro-chips, and performs general basic cytology, fecal flotation’s and urinalysis.
- Performs First Aid as required
- Keeps kennel communication records current and up to date and enters information into Animal Register database as needed
- Provides support and education to current volunteers, explains animal handling and basic behaviour modifications, encourages enrichment of shelter animals through basic training and play. Provides feedback to supervisor as required
- Training of shelter dogs that are being rotated for adoption to help facilitate a successful placement into a permanent home
- Assists prospective adopters with selection of animals to ensure a good match for adoptions; provides specific information on dog’s behaviour and needs
- Feeds, waters, and cares for a variety of impounded animals
- Cleans and disinfects kennels and other work areas. Maintains cleanliness and organization of storage trailer
- Work is performed under the direction of the supervisor and is reviewed for effective services rendered
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned
Education and Experience:
- Completion of the 12th school grade, plus sound experience working with animals including difficult animals, or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Certification of a recognized Veterinary Assistant program is an asset.
- A current and valid BC Drivers License is a requirement of this position. The license must not include any restrictions that would affect the ability to legally and safely carry out job responsibilities.
- Sound knowledge of methods, practices and procedures for the care and well-being of animals;
- Sound knowledge in the procedures, rules and regulations of the work;
- Sound knowledge of common medications and their applications in veterinary practice;
- Sound knowledge in medical treatments for injured or ill animals as well as preventative medical care and post-operative care;
- Sound knowledge and ability in the behaviour and training methods for dogs, including aggressive animals;
- Ability to deal courteously and effectively with the public;
- Ability to work with all employees and interact as part of a team environment;
- Ability to carry out routine tasks with minimal supervision;
- Ability to effectively use hand held radios, computers and computer programs;
- Ability to lift and carry heavy, bulky objects up to 40lbs, such as hoses, bags of feed and supplies and large animals.
Business Unit/Department: Development, Building and Licensing
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Auxiliary/Casual
Position Start Date: December, 2021
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-015: $26.34 to $30.94 per hour
Application Close: December 3, 2021
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process.Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Before you click Apply now
Once you start your application you can save your work and leave the applications page, however please remember to submit your profile to the specific job requisition before the posting closing date.
In addition to uploading your cover letter and resume, part of the application process may include answering application questions related to the preferred requirements of the role which may take approx.. 5-10mins. Cover letters should express interest and highlight additional information relevant to the position and resumes should include a tailored summary of skills and experience related to the position.