Engineering and Community Services Technologist - Fraser Valley Regional District
ENGINEERING AND COMMUNITY SERVICES TECHNOLOGIST (REPOST)
October 13, 2021
The Fraser Valley Regional District is a local government that delivers over 100 services to residents living in our eight electoral areas and six member municipalities. We are the third most populous regional district in BC, stretching from Abbotsford to Boston Bar. The Fraser Valley offers a great place to work and live with a mix of rural and urban lifestyles along with an abundance of recreational and cultural opportunities.
As an Engineering and Community Services Technologist, a typical week could see you reviewing civil design drawings; inspecting the installation of water or sewer mains; collaborating with stakeholders to develop new recycling initiatives at FVRD transfer stations; wading waist deep in a creek to take stream flow measurements; making permit applications to various Provincial agencies for everything from highway crossings to water licences; writing progress reports for multi-million dollar capital projects, and so much more. We are looking for a people-oriented Technologist interested in the big picture as well as the small details. Critical thinking, strong communication and technical skills, as along with a keen desire to learn and take initiative will serve you well in this position.
We offer a positive, supportive, team-based work environment with an emphasis on collaboration. If you have a positive, can-do attitude and a keen sense of humour, you will fit right in. This is an excellent opportunity for someone who wants to stretch their skills and broaden their experience.
The ideal candidate must have:
- A Degree or Diploma in Civil Engineering, Environmental Engineering or Environmental Sciences with a good understanding of and experience working with environmental issues related to water and sewer; solid waste; and eligible for registration as a AScT or equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Experience in local government service delivery including engineering and utilities;
- Experience in public engagement, managing projects, conducting research and feasibility studies;
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, including the ability to express thoughts and ideas clearly, and converse with technical consultants, staff and the general public;
- Excellent writing skills, with the ability to write in a clear and concise manner, and to prepare well written technical and administrative reports, and make effective presentations;
- Ability to establish and maintain positive and effective working relationships with consultants, contractors, stakeholders, staff, elected officials, advisory bodies and the public;
- Must possess a valid Driver's Licence.
The start rate for this Union position is $33.68 per hour plus a comprehensive benefits package. Upon successful completion of the required six-month probationary period, the rate will increase to $39.62 per hour.
If you have a passion for public service and want to make a difference in the lives of Fraser Valley residents, we want to hear from you. Please submit your resume, along with a cover letter, indicating how you meet the qualifications. Please quote Competition #2021-28 and send, in confidence, by 4:30 p.m. on November 12, 2021, to email@example.com or mail to:
Fraser Valley Regional District
Human Resources Department
1-45950 Cheam Avenue
Chilliwack, BC V2P 1N6
While we appreciate the interest of all applicants, only those candidates under consideration will be contacted.
Review of applications will begin upon receipt.