Property Use Inspector - City of Vancouver
Property Use InspectorRequisition ID: 33416
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh), Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada's Top 100 Employers, BC's Top Employers, and Canada's Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
Performing technical and regulatory work inspecting buildings and land for compliance with various civic bylaws, including Zoning & Development, Standards of Maintenance, License, Untidy Premises, Health, Noise Control, Sign, Graffiti, SRA and others.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
Conducting investigations, inspections, discussing problems and providing advice, issuing orders, collecting and giving evidence in court, observing infractions of Building, Plumbing, Gas and/or Electrical Bylaws, and referring those to appropriate staff. Assisting business and property owners, tenants, contractors, design professionals and agents with interpretation of various bylaws and guidelines. Dealing tactfully with aggressive and difficult people in a firm, fair, impartial manner in the field without supervision. Regular inspections of SRA buildings, problem premises and marijuana related businesses. Checking conditions of permits, approvals, licenses, and researching property information. Preparing detailed inspection reports on MS Word, retrieving and updating information and inspection records on POSSE, retrieving business licence information on Amanda, and performing related work as required. The duties performed are reviewed for compliance with departmental procedures and Bylaw requirements.
Education and Experience:
- High School graduation.
- Diploma in Architectural and Building Technology from a recognized institution is desirable.
- Community Noise Enforcement and Pesticide Applicator's Certificate
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Considerable knowledge of the applicable sections of the Zoning and Development, Noise Control, Health Sign, Untidy Premises, Standards of Maintenance, Graffiti, Licence and all relevant Bylaws and regulations.
- Working knowledge of the process, regulations and policies affecting the use and development of various properties.
- Working knowledge of building systems such as HVAC, drainage and building construction.
- Working knowledge of the applicable sections of the Building, Electrical, Fire, Plumbing and Gas Bylaws, sufficient for recognition of Bylaw contravention and required action.
- Ability to read and interpret building and development permit plans.
- Ability to take a variety of noise measurements and document infractions.
- Ability to prepare complete and accurate reports.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with internal and external contacts.
- Ability to make sound decisions as to whether buildings and land meet the requirements of the above noted By-laws and to discuss any alterations or actions necessary to bring the buildings and/or lands into compliance with these Bylaws.
- Ability to meet with contractors, homeowners, SRA operators and business representatives, to discuss existing infractions of various bylaws and the requirement to bring them into compliance.
- Ability to encourage compliance and to enforce Bylaws with fairness, impartiality and good judgment.
- Ability to work outside in all types of weather, to walk long distances and to climb stairs.
- Experience with and working knowledge of our computer systems including POSSE, PRISM Sequel, Amanda and Lagan is an asset.
A Police Record Clearance is a requirement of this position. A valid BC Driver’s License and your own vehicle are also requirements for this position.
Business Unit/Department: Development, Buildings & Licensing (1250)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: November, 2021
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-025: $39.50 to $46.64 per hour
Application Close: October 22, 2021
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Before you click Apply now
Once you start your application you can save your work and leave the applications page, however please remember to submit your profile to the specific job requisition before the posting closing date.
In addition to uploading your cover letter and resume, part of the application process may include answering application questions related to the preferred requirements of the role which may take approx.. 5-10mins. Cover letters should express interest and highlight additional information relevant to the position and resumes should include a tailored summary of skills and experience related to the position.