Assistant to General Manager - Project Delivery - Metro Vancouver
Assistant to General Manager - Project Delivery
Position Status: Full-Time Regular
Department: Project Delivery
Employee Group: Exempt
Location: 4730 Kingsway, Burnaby
Our Project Delivery Department is seeking an Assistant to the General Manager of Project Delivery who will provide administrative support to the General Manager; coordinate scheduling and travel needs; prepare various materials and correspondence; delegate enquiries; and coordinate the flow of documents requiring response, review or approval. The Project Delivery Department is a newly formed Department in the organization and operates in a fast paced environment with internal and external staff.
You are: a motivated, engaged employee with strong leadership skills and considerable knowledge of office administration practices, procedures and standard protocols. You have proven administrative skills including the ability to manage complex calendar and scheduling requirements. You have the ability to exercise tact and diplomacy, use sound judgment and maintain appropriate confidentiality and you possess excellent computer skills and communication skills, both verbal and written. You have experience working in a fast paced engineering and/or major infrastructure project delivery environment.
The Assistant to General Manager - Project Delivery reports to the General Manager, Project Delivery and falls within our Corporate Support, Level 2B job family.
- Provides administrative support to the General Manager, Director or Senior Director of a department or function including preparing reports, agendas, presentations, minutes, correspondence and other related material. Uses independent judgment to coordinate scheduling and travel needs and determines appropriate times, spacing and priority of calendar items when conflicts arise.
- Screens and directs requests for information; composes, edits and formats correspondence; decides appropriate routing for information or enquiries; tracks incoming and outgoing correspondence; coordinates flow of documents requiring a response; and follows up on outstanding items as required. Plans, organizes and prioritizes own work and manages a variety of processes and sequences of tasks.
- Liaises with Board Directors, Metro Vancouver managers and staff, elected municipal representatives, provincial and federal government staff, and outside organizations on a variety of matters including scheduling appointments, collecting and compiling material, and responding to enquires for information.
- Provides administrative assistance to assigned Board Committee(s) or other similar groups or functions. Acts as the first point of contact for members; organizes meeting logistics; prepares, distributes and posts agendas; creates and edits reports; and attends committee meetings to provide support as required. Tracks completion of action items and follows up on outstanding items. Assist in organizing events for members, including roundtables, webinars, and facility tours and provides general administrative support as required.
- Anticipates what the General Manager, Director, Senior Director or Chair may need or want for various functions based on past practice or expressed preferences and provides updates and additional information as appropriate.
- Responds to changing needs and unique situations or requests without precedent. Researches and collaborates with others to produce or facilitate a wide range of business needs as required.
- Performs general office maintenance duties such as documenting business processes and informing staff of changes. Evaluates work flows and revises procedures to increase efficiency and or respond to changing needs. May assist with unusual or one-time projects and tasks as required.
- Manages records in accordance with departmental and corporate standards.
- Performs other related duties as required.
To be successful, you have:
- 5 years of recent, related experience supplemented by high school graduation and completion of postsecondary courses in a relevant field such as office administration; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Considerable knowledge of office administration practices, procedures and standard protocols. Demonstrated administrative skills and abilities including the ability to manage complex calendar and scheduling requirements; prepare and format documents for distribution to Board Committees and the public; accurately transcribe minutes from general dialogue; and manage multiple competing priorities with tact and professionalism.
- Considerable knowledge of Metro Vancouver’s functions, structure, and broad objectives.
- Ability to work independently under broad direction, including managing day-to-day priorities and plan for future needs. Ability to use judgment to select and interpret information and handle deviations from standard methods and practices. Identifies and engages the appropriate resources to resolve issues.
- Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to develop and maintain positive and respectful working relationships with internal and external contacts.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to effectively listen, and support the resolution of problems.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise tact and diplomacy, use sound judgment and maintain appropriate confidentiality and discretion in the disclosure of information to elected officials, internal and municipal staff, and the public.
- Demonstrated ability to organize and prioritize tasks to meet multiple time based deliverables requiring a high level of detail and accuracy.
- Ability to provide guidance to other staff on work processes; works collaboratively and contributes to the team with constructive ideas and information.
- Proficiency using Microsoft office programs, including Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint and SharePoint.
- Working knowledge of a complex corporate records management system.
- Valid BC Class 5 Driver’s License may be required.
Metro Vancouver embraces collaboration and innovation in providing sustainable regional services that contribute to a livable and resilient region and a healthy natural environment for current and future generations.
Please follow this link http://www.metrovancouver.org/about/careers/ to our Careers page where you can submit your application by October 27, 2021.