Water Operator III - EPCOR
Water Operator III
Highlights of the job
We are hiring a Full-time permanent Water Operator III for our Canmore location. The successful candidate will be required to live within a thirty-minute radius of the Canmore Water and Wastewater Treatment Facilities during their on-call rotation. For candidates that are not currently a resident of this area relocation support may be provided.
Reporting to the Lead Hand Operator, you will be involved in the day-to-day operations of the Level III Wastewater Treatment Plant, the Level II Water Treatment Plant, and the Level III Distribution and Collection systems. As well, you are to perform all duties in compliance with the ISO 14001 certified Environmental Management System that has been implemented at the Canmore site.
We are accepting applications from both current EPCOR Employees and external applicants.
Info about Canmore:
Canmore is a town that opens out across the floor of the Bow Valley, approximately 81 kilometres (50 mi) west of Calgary and is and flanked on all sides by the front ranges of the Canadian Rocky Mountains. Feel a smile spread across your face as you take a deep breath, look at your surroundings and take in the towering Canadian Rockies. Canmore offers not only a spectacular location but also where you can enjoy unequalled outdoor recreational opportunities such as canoeing, hiking, skiing, horseback riding or golfing plus much more! Strolling the streets and avenues throughout downtown you will discover shops, art galleries and restaurants that are authentically Canmore. Browse stylish boutiques, melt away your stress at a day spa, take in a cultural performance or indulge your senses in mountain-inspired cuisine the Town of Canmore is one of the most beautiful places in all of Canada to live, work and play! Discover more about the town at: https://canmore.ca/
What you’d be responsible for
Reporting to the Lead Hand Operator, as a Water Operator III your key accountabilities are, but not limited to:
- Fulfilling all requirements for the Approvals to Operate that relate to the Canmore facility, including keeping records and preparing reports as related to the approval and operation guidelines.
- Ensuring working procedures are performed in compliance with ISO 14001 standards.
- Collecting data for monthly, regulatory, and operational reporting as required.
- Performing laboratory sampling and making adjustments to process controls by making calculations to determine chemical feeds, retention times, and hydraulic loading as required for plant operation.
- Controlling the processes and systems that affect the quality and quantity of water and wastewater.
- Maintaining, inspecting, and repairing facilities and infrastructure pertaining to all water and wastewater systems.
- Troubleshooting day-to-day operational issues and customer complaints and developing solutions to rectify these issues.
- Ensuring proper work permits/hazard assessments are completed.
What’s required to be successful
The successful candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- Grade 12 diploma (GED, or equivalent level of secondary education).
- Minimum Level 3 certification in either Wastewater Treatment, Wastewater Collection or Water Distribution is required for this position.
- Our ideal candidate will also possess certification in the other three disciplines.
- Candidates who possess a NAIT Water & Wastewater Technician Certificate (or certification from an equivalent training program recognized by EPCOR) or University-level Science degree will be given preference.
- Mechanical aptitude.
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office and an affinity to learn other software systems.
- Possession of a valid Alberta Class 5 Motor Vehicle Operator's License with 6 or fewer demerits. Ability to qualify for and maintain a valid EPCOR driver's permit.
- A 5 year Commercial Drivers Abstract will be required at the time of hire.
- A Class 3 license with Q endorsement will be considered an asset.
- Proven highly developed analytical and decision making skills.
- Ability to demonstrate (or articulate) their strong results orientation as well as being regarded highly for their commitment to quality service and excellence.
- Clearance on pre-placement medical and drug and alcohol testing.
Along with the qualifications (skills and behaviours) listed above you have well-developed and effective communication (verbal and written) skills, keen attention to detail, and a high degree of accuracy in everything you do. You demonstrate a solid commitment to safety and consistently take an active role in assigned tasks seeing them through to completion, combined with the ability to work well either in a team environment or with minimal supervision. In addition, you have excellent planning and organization skills combined with the ability to apply knowledge and problem-solving skills in a timely manner and are a person who creates a respectful work environment where ideas are challenged and people feel trusted and safe.
Health and safety are integral to EPCOR's work, and we strive to maintain a zero-injury organizational culture. As the successful candidate, you possess a high level of safety awareness and demonstrate safe work practices at all times. You will also be required to actively participate in safety and other job-related training.
Other important facts about this job
This position is located in Canmore, Alberta and the successful candidate will be required to live within a thirty-minute radius of the Canmore Water and Wastewater Treatment Facilities during their on-call rotation. For candidates that are not currently a resident of this area relocation support may be provided. Communities within this radius include Canmore, Exshaw, Deadmans Flats, Las des Arcs, Harvie Heights and Banff.
Wage: are on a matrix scale recognizing Certification levels Hours of work: 8 hours per day, 40 hours per week.
- Overtime and weekend work are required.
- Must also participate in the on-call rotation system
Location: Canmore, Alberta (Water and Wastewater Treatment Facilities)
We are accepting applications until the end of day on October 24, 2021. To apply please visit our website: https://www.epcor.com/about/careers/Pages/job-listing.aspx?jobId=orT1gfwl
Learn more about Working at EPCOR!
Follow us on LinkedIn, Twitter, Glassdoor or Facebook!
Please note the following information:
- A requirement of working for EPCOR is that you are at least 18 years of age, successfully attained a high school diploma (GED, or equivalent level of secondary education) and legally entitled to work in Canada. (A copy of a valid work permit may be required.)
- If you are considered for the position, clearance on all applicable background checks (which may include criminal, identity, educational, and/or credit) and professional reference checks is required. Some EPCOR positions require an enhanced level of background assessment, which is dictated by law. These positions require advanced criminal record checks that must also be conducted from time to time after commencement of employment.
- A technical/practical assessment may be administered during the selection process and this exercise could be used as a part of the selection criterion.
- To meet the physical demands required of some positions, candidates must be in good physical condition and willing to work in all weather conditions. Clearance on pre-placement medical and drug and alcohol testing may be required.