Manager of Financial Services - City of Whitehorse
Manager of Financial Services
Established as the Yukon's capital city in 1953, the City of Whitehorse is home to some of the most spectacular scenery, talented artists, and innovative businesses in Canada. Situated along the Yukon River on the traditional territory of the Kwanlin Dün First Nation and the Ta'an Kwäch’än Council, over 28,000 call Whitehorse home.
The City of Whitehorse is looking for a Manager, Financial Services who will be tasked with co-ordination of all financial management, control, reporting and procurement functions for the City and will act as custodian of its' investments and assets. This role reports to the Director of Corporate Services and will be responsible for leading a team of 20.
You will have responsibility for the production of the entire City of Whitehorse budget as well as your own departmental budget of approximately $3M. In your role, you will play an active role in the negotiations for 3 unions, ensure optimization of departmental structure and lead enforcement of corporate policies and procedures.
This is a great opportunity for an accounting professional who wants to help drive change and growth within the City of Whitehorse as you will be a key contributor to a very supportive senior leadership team.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Manages the operations of the Financial Services including financial administration, property taxation, utility billing, accounting, budgeting, internal audit, fixed asset tracking, procurement, payroll, central cashiering and parking ticket administration.
- Recruits, directs, coaches and appraises departmental staff and coordinates their work.
- Performs the functions of Deputy Treasurer, co-ordinates the annual external audit, completes the annual financial statement, and compiles information for the annual report.
- Co-ordinates cash and debt management, including short term borrowing and/or investing of funds.
- Prepares and controls Financial Services' annual operating and capital budgets.
- Develops policies and procedures for accomplishing approved objectives for the effective delivery of financial services.
- Develops and implements a uniform process for preparing and compiling the operating and capital budgets for the City.
- Coordinates the City's risk management and use of legal services.
- Ensures, so far as is reasonably practicable, that safety procedures and standards are followed by personnel throughout the department
- In conjunction with the Director, Corporate Services, is designated the City Manager's statutory signing authority for cheques and other financial instruments in accordance with Section 240 of the Municipal Act.
- Acts as Director, Corporate Services as assigned.
The City of Whitehorse is looking for a seasoned accountant who is able to work across the organization to ensure the proper financial due diligence of the City. The incumbent needs to have the relationship-building skills necessary to ensure proper adherence to financial practices, to drive change and to build a credible function. The ideal candidate comes to this role with experience working in a governmental or quasi-governmental or non-profit environment.
- Undergraduate degree in Accounting, Business Administration or related field
- A professional Accounting Designation – CPA in good standing
- A minimum of eight years' progressive experience with a minimum of 4 years at a supervisory or management level and a minimum of one year of on-the-job experience.
- Proven interpersonal skills related to team building, liaison with stakeholders, and collaborative problem solving.
- Track record of leadership in proposing and influencing changes.
- Well-developed organizational and communications skills.
- Self-directed and results oriented
- Ability to foster and maintain effective relationships among peers and/or stakeholders.
- Comfortable in using intranets, spreadsheets, word processing, budgeting software, payroll software and financial systems software.
Please submit your resume and cover letter to https://careers.wmc.ca/
For more information you can also contact Kataneh Sherkat at email@example.com
WMC and City of Whitehorse respect and welcome candidates of all background. We also honour your privacy and your information will not be shared with any other party beyond this position without your consent.
Respectfully, only those who are selected for an interview will be contacted.