Utilities Electrician / Scada Technician - City of Revelstoke
City of RevelstokeP.O. Box 170, Revelstoke, British Columbia V0E 2S0 revelstoke.ca
This position is within the Bargaining Unit of Canadian Union of Public Employees, Local 363.
Utilities Electrician / Scada Technician
Position Purpose Statement:
Performs electrical installation, maintenance, alteration, and repair work at the journeyman level. The work of this class involves installation, replacement, repair, alteration, inspection and maintenance of street and traffic lights, electrical equipment, systems instrumentation and controls in municipal buildings, recreational facilities and water and sewer stations. The work also involves direction to outside contractors and supervision of labourers and equipment operators assigned to assist with associated duties. The job involves both inside and outside work throughout the year, exposure to high voltage and occasionally pulling heavy power lines and working in awkward situations. The incumbent must exercise courtesy, tact, diplomacy, and some persuasion in non-routine contacts with the public, to other City employees and to outside contractors.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
- Installs, replaces, repairs, and maintains streetlights, computerized traffic lights and related control devices.
- Installs, replaces, repairs, alters, inspects, and maintains, wiring, electrical equipment, systems, instrumentation, and controls, including Pneumatic, hydraulic, and electronic components, in municipal buildings and recreational facilities, water treatment plant, wastewater plant, pumping stations, reservoirs and lift stations.
- Designs, prepares, and maintains wiring diagrams and builds electrical systems as required.
- Inspects the work of electrical contractors undertaking major installation and repair work to ensure compliance with City requirements, approves completed work for payment.
- Buys electrical supplies as required.
- Performs preventative maintenance on City owned Standby power systems.
- Reviews contractor specifications, making recommendations to Supervisor as required.
- Maintains integrity of Alarming System for Water and Wastewater.
- Maintains integrity of SCADA Software and programming.
- Maintains and supervises upgrades to PLC software and HMI Software.
- Supervises any changes to radio network.
- Supervises and maintains SCADA pack programming additions and upgrades.
- Takes part in future work plans for upgrades and capital project in the water and wastewater dept.
- Takes part in budget planning for forecasting upgrades required for SCADA system hardware and software.
- Participates in all future works and development.
- Assists with budget planning in forecasting computer hardware and software upgrades in consultation with the IT Department.
- On occasion directs City employees assigned to assist with duties related to electrical work, supervise, and coordinate the work of City employees and contractors related to electrical work, give technical direction to supervisors and tradespeople engaged in electrical installation and/or repair.
- Operates aerial bucket truck, hand power tools, compressor tools and accessories, cable locating equipment, electrical testing, and metering equipment.
- Performs other duties as required.
- Provides general and routine information to the public.
- Performs other work as assigned by the Supervisor or Operations Manager.
The job involves near continuous outside work during the spring, summer and fall and moderately heavy exertion.
Knowledge, Abilities & Skills:
- Knowledge of standard methods, practices, materials, tools, and equipment used in electrical installations, maintenance and repair work and knowledge of the Provincial Electrical Code and safe working practices related to electrical work.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Ability to perform a variety of highly skilled electrical tasks.
- Ability to work from blueprints and sketches.
- Knowledge of HMI programming, PC networking configurations and aptitude for field problem solving.
- Knowledge of programmable logic controllers (PLC), telemetry and related control systems and the use of microcomputers.
- Ability to troubleshoot and modify PLC programs (Siemens/Telepace) using computer generated software.
- Knowledge of 4-20 mA current loop setup.
- Ability to supervise others.
Required Qualifications & Experience:
- A journeyman (B.C. Department of Labour) Industrial Electrician ticket.
- Completion of a two-year Electrical or Instrumentation Technology diploma program or equivalent, as recognized by the City of Revelstoke.
- Experience in the trades of Instrument Mechanic and Electrician, including the necessary experience in an industrial plant environment.
- Diploma program or equivalent training with SCADA as recognized by City of Revelstoke
- Asset Management
- GIS knowledge or training
- Minimum Grade 12 Education
- Valid B.C. Driver’s License - Class 5
We offer a competitive salary and excellent benefits package, a supportive team-oriented work environment and opportunities for career and professional development. For a complete job description, click here.
Interested parties are invited to submit a cover letter and resume by mail or email to:
Jodie Allen, CPM, CPHR Candidate
Human Resources Administrator
PO Box 170, 216 Mackenzie Avenue
Revelstoke, BC V0E 2S0
Phone: (250) 837-2911
The City of Revelstoke wishes to thank all applicants in advance for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.