Security Attendant I - Evelyne Saller Community Centre - City of Vancouver
Security Attendant I - Evelyne Saller Community CentreRequisition ID: 33244
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh), Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada's Top 100 Employers, BC's Top Employers, and Canada's Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
Evelyne Saller Community Centre serve as important resources to Vancouver’s diverse Downtown Eastside communities. Patrons can participate in educational, recreational, cultural and social programming; enjoy the delicious low cost meals offered at the Centre cafeteria; access life essential services such as laundry, showers, or sheltering services; or simply enjoy the Centre as the safe and welcoming places to connect with their neighbors.
Reporting to a Security Coordinator, this is a front line position with primary responsibilities in relationship building with community members, and Centre safety, security, access control, and incident response and reporting. Security Attendants also work to ensure that the Centre is safe, welcoming and inclusive spaces for the public and staff. Violence Prevention is a priority at ESC, the Security Attendant I delivers security services in a calm, compassionate, professional manner by de-escalating situations, dealing with crises, responding to conflict and volatile situations and monitoring patron behaviour.
The Security Attendant I provides patrons with information on Evelyne Saller Centre services and activities; information on agencies and services in the area, makes referrals as required; monitors security in the building, operates the switchboard and, prepares electronic incident reports, makes logbook entries, and performs data entry tasks.
The Security Attendant will support a 7 day a week, 24 hours a day operations and must be available for both daytime and evening shifts, 7 days a week as required.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Maintains a safe, healthy, and positive environment for staff, volunteers, patrons, and community members.
- Works tactfully and compassionately with individuals who may be drug/ alcohol addicted and /or isolated through poverty, homelessness, mental illness, or other factors of social exclusion.
- Establishes and maintains positive relationships and appropriate professional boundaries with staff, volunteers, and patrons.
- Presents self in a professional manner that demonstrates the values of the City of Vancouver and Community Services
- Enforces Evelyne Saller Centre policies and procedures in a calm, clear and compassionate manner
- Deals confidently and respectfully with volatile and unpredictable situations including those in which mental health and addiction issues are factors
- Works cooperatively with other service providers/agencies
- Monitors access to the Centre and makes rounds all areas in the facility on a regular basis
- Operates security equipment as required
- Maintains paper and electronic records including incident reports, log books, databases, mail lists and other related records
- Performs routine janitorial duties as required
- Makes referrals to community agencies as needed
- Monitors and reports any facility issues including maintenance, cleanliness and pest control issues as per the Centre’s procedures
Education and Experience:
- Completion of Grade 10 and, preferably Occupational First Aid Level 1 or ability to get it upon hire
- Experience in a security position, combined with experience working with vulnerable populations preferably in a social service setting; Basic Security Training (BST) level 1 would be an asset.
- A clear Criminal Record Check is a requirement of the position
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent conflict management and de-escalation skills especially in unpredictable, volatile, and emergency situations including situations in which mental health and addiction are factors
- Ability to exercise excellent judgment and to do so independently when required
- Willing and able to enforce policies, procedure and rules in a firm and compassionate manner
- Understanding of and commitment to homeless populations who may also suffer from issues related to addiction, mental health, physical and/or cognitive disabilities and other issues related to poverty and marginalization.
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- Excellent decision-making and problem-solving skills especially in volatile, disruptive and emergency situations
- Good writing skills and ability to use MS Office applications for report writing and communications
Business Unit/Department: Arts, Culture and Community Services (1200)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Auxiliary/Casual
Position Start Date: November, 2021
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-013: $24.39 to $28.56 per hour
Number of Positions: 3
Application Close: September 24, 2021
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process.Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Before you click Apply now
Once you start your application you can save your work and leave the applications page, however please remember to submit your profile to the specific job requisition before the posting closing date.
In addition to uploading your cover letter and resume, part of the application process may include answering application questions related to the preferred requirements of the role which may take approx.. 5-10mins. Cover letters should express interest and highlight additional information relevant to the position and resumes should include a tailored summary of skills and experience related to the position.