Project Manager I - Energy and Utilities - City of Vancouver
Project Manager I - Energy and UtilitiesRequisition ID: 32379
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh), Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada's Top 100 Employers, BC's Top Employers, and Canada's Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The Project Manager, Energy and Utilities, is responsible for leading project teams in the design, construction, and delivery of civic energy retrofit capital projects, with the focus on low carbon building retrofits and energy optimisation projects, plus the commissioning of complex building mechanical, electrical, and building automation control systems for new construction and energy retrofit projects. Proficient knowledge and skills in optimising direct digital control (DDC) systems is required.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepares project descriptions and/or conceptual plans to illustrate project requirement for energy retrofit and optimisation project justification.
- Hires consultants to prepare feasibility studies for energy retrofit and optimisation projects.
- Prepares project budgets for approval by senior staff and Council.
- Acts as the City’s representative and liaise between consultants, clients and City Departments in matters pertaining to projects program, design, construction, and contracts.
- Manages all aspects of projects to ensure that the City’s energy and GHG reduction objectives are incorporated into the project.
- Monitors the progress of the work related to budget, schedule, sustainability, quality and completeness; identify problems; evaluate if alternate approaches should be taken to meet the targets.
- Ensures the projects meet all the program requirements and are delivered within the approved budget and timelines.
- Reviews plans at various stages for conformity with the program of requirements, cost-effectiveness, and inclusion of later requests made through correspondence or meetings.
- Reviews change orders, progress payment certificates and recommends payment.
- Reviews and maintains project cost data and issue monthly reports.
- Review construction to ascertain it is in general conformance with contract documents.
- Oversees commissioning processes for new facilities construction and energy retrofit projects
- Hands on commissioning of complex mechanical, electrical, and DDC Control systems in new construction, energy retrofit, and energy optimisation projects.
- Leads the optimization of building DDC control systems to maximize energy efficiency and reduce greenhouse-gas (GHG) emissions
- Optimises building control system sequences of operation and reprogramming building automation systems as required.
- Identifies, assesses, implements and documents low cost/no cost operational type measures such as optimizing the schedules, set-points, sensors
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, or a related field, and a minimum 5 years of experience as a project manager, leading teams through various stages of complex building energy retrofit projects, optimisation of building automation control systems, and hands on mechanical and electrical system commissioning related to energy retrofits and new high performance zero emission buildings, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Building automation energy management training such as the BCIT Building Controls and Energy Management Advance Certificate.
- Certified Energy Manager (CEM) qualification would be an asset.
- Registration or eligibility to register as an EIT or P.Eng with EGBC is an asset.
- Experience in project management of capital projects in civic buildings or similar facilities.
- Direct experience with building automation system design, implementation, programming, and commissioning.
- Proven work experience and results with previous DDC control system recommissioning projects of reasonable size and complexity.
- Experience in troubleshooting and debugging mechanical/HVAC and electrical/DDC automation systems.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Proficient knowledge and skills in optimising direct digital control (DDC) systems is required.
- Thorough knowledge and experience with HVAC systems, heating plant equipment, and building control systems
- Knowledge of low carbon energy retrofit, new construction, and building automation optimisation design and construction practices.
- Knowledge of sustainable building design and construction practices.
- Ability to review, analyze and effectively critique low carbon building mechanical and electrical and control system plans, specifications and contract documents.
- Ability to analyze complex control sequences and resulting operations, revise and implement as necessary to optimize building systems performance.
- Ability to commission and reprogram building automation systems.
- Ability to deal effectively with architects, engineers, contractors, City Departments and the general public to establish cooperative working relationships.
- Ability to analyze complex situations, determine appropriate courses of action and prepare reports related to the same for discussion.
- Ability to write clear, concise and complete reports.
- Excellent interpersonal oral, written, and presentation communication skills.
- Results-oriented with the ability to effectively manage multiple projects with tight time lines.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office applications such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
- Valid Driver’s License for the Province of BC.
- Interest and passion for energy conservation and low carbon building design
Business Unit/Department: Real Estate & Facilities Mgmt (1100)
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: October, 2021
Application Close: September 29, 2021
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process.Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Before you click Apply now
Once you start your application you can save your work and leave the applications page, however please remember to submit your profile to the specific job requisition before the posting closing date.
In addition to uploading your cover letter and resume, part of the application process may include answering application questions related to the preferred requirements of the role which may take approx.. 5-10mins. Cover letters should express interest and highlight additional information relevant to the position and resumes should include a tailored summary of skills and experience related to the position.