Media Relations Coordinator - City of Surrey
Media Relations Coordinator
As one of the fastest growing cities in Canada, City of Surrey is a globally recognized leader in building vibrant, sustainable communities through technology and innovation.
City of Surrey employees are talented innovators, inspired by meaningful work and the opportunity to drive our city—and their careers—forward. Build a City. Build a Future at the City of Surrey
The city of surrey is a place of innovative transformation and accelerated growth—where the future is limitless and possibilities are endless. If you are excited about helping build the city of tomorrow—and you share our values of integrity, service, teamwork, innovation and community—join us, today.
Working in partnership with the largest municipal RCMP detachment in Canada, we provide services to the half a million residents of the city from our main office on 57th avenue and from our five district offices. We work closely with the community on crime prevention initiatives, as well as provide support and advice to those who have been affected by crime.
Union - CUPE Local 402 - Regular Full-Time
The successful applicant will exercise a significant degree of judgement and initiative within established guidelines while providing support to the Media Relations Officers and the Surrey RCMP.
As the Media Relations Coordinator your responsibilities include:
- Drafting and preparing press releases and media-related materials for distribution.
- Assisting the Media Relations Officers in monitoring, tracking and responding to media relations inquiries received by phone or email.
- Monitoring and reviewing daily media and social media channels for relevant stories to distribute notable information.
- Drafting, compiling, and distributing internal and external communications products such as e-newsletters, social media posts and website updates.
- Coordinating media events or press conferences.
- Researching and verifying information for Media Relations Officers.
- Liaising with various units and sections to ensure communications and materials are up to date.
The Ideal candidate:
- Has excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Is flexible and a collaborative team-player.
- Understands how to handle confidential and sensitive information.
- Has good knowledge of policing and public safety issues.
- Has good knowledge of communications principles, writing and editing.
- Is customer service focused.
- Enjoys working in a fast paced, dynamic policing environment.
- Completion of Grade 12, supplemented by a degree or diploma in communications, journalism, media or public relations or related field. A minimum of four years related experience or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Previous experience in policing, public safety or public service is preferred.
- Obtain and maintain the relevant level of security clearance throughout employment with the Surrey RCMP. Applicants under consideration will be required to provide proof of qualifications and consent to a Police Information Check.